FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Pulling off a waistcoat at 18?

Hey, so I'm only 18 at the moment but I'm looking to step up my style a little. I've had enough of the jeans and t-shirt look. I really like the look of waistcoats but fear that I may be a little too young to pull it off without looking like an arrogant hipster douche. Would it be acceptable to wear one with maybe a pair of plain black jeans in a casual environment (college, gatherings with friends ect.) or would I need to save it for the more elegant gatherings and pair it with suit pants?

Any general advice on wearing waistcoats and what to pair them with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

FashionBeans Legend
    It's hard to pull off a waistcoat with a casual look regardless of your age - not impossible though and if it's done right, it can look really cool.

Either way, whether it's in a formal or informal setting, it's something you need to be comfortable with if you decide to wear one - confidence is the key to pulling off any outfit properly.

Trend Setter
    I'd strongly recommend against wearing waistcoats casually, especially if you're new to fashion. Why not wear chinos and shirts/polos instead of the usual jeans and tees? It's smarter and there's much less room for error.

Trend Setter
    It's not a suit waistcoat is it?

My cousin is 18 and he wears one of his dad's old pinstripe ones. And he looks ridiculous, but he's going for some weird Levellers, Hippie, Folk type look. Wears a lot of neckties and flat caps, cowboy boots.

Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    It's hard to pull off a waistcoat with a casual look regardless of your age - not impossible though and if it's done right, it can look really cool.

Either way, whether it's in a formal or informal setting, it's something you need to be comfortable with if you decide to wear one - confidence is the key to pulling off any outfit properly.
    I figured confidence would be the most important thing. I figure since I like the look I'll just try it out and see how it goes. Worst case scenario is someone saying that it doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    I'd strongly recommend against wearing waistcoats casually, especially if you're new to fashion. Why not wear chinos and shirts/polos instead of the usual jeans and tees? It's smarter and there's much less room for error.
    I might be wording it a little wrong, I don't mean casually as in just wearing it around town, but more for when I go to events with my friends or on a night out. I normally do try to go with shirts over t-shirts now and I'll probably buy myself a few polos when I get paid but I just wanted to try something a little different. I don't really like chinos though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterPerry View Post
    It's not a suit waistcoat is it?

My cousin is 18 and he wears one of his dad's old pinstripe ones. And he looks ridiculous, but he's going for some weird Levellers, Hippie, Folk type look. Wears a lot of neckties and flat caps, cowboy boots.
    I was thinking about just wearing a plain black waistcoat. I'm not going for the hippie look.
    Last edited by Connor; 18-08-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Trend Setter
    Just had a look around. This might help you.

Tips On How To Carry A Waistcoat And Look Stunning. For Men

The top picture (not the header) looks good. I'd wear that, maybe not with the same tee but I like the look of the waistcoat, I think it's knitted.
    Last edited by ChesterPerry; 18-08-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I found two examples of styles that I like so some input would be appreciated. I do apologize for the poor quality.

http://i.imgur.com/ntTv72D.png
    http://i.imgur.com/0ibi6M3.png

Any thoughts on this? I'd probably think about removing the tie though if I did go for a style like that though.

Trend Setter
    It looks alright to me. But you don't want my advice, I'm nearly twice your age.

Style Icon
    It will just look too old and frumpy in my opinion. Try too hard at that age.

Des

Style Icon
    Ah. I would have said experiment with a Topman one in a grey or stone colour with some dirty plimsolls and plain tee. Just not a black waistcoat. Or this..

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last