FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

In praise of Reiss' tailoring service

I've had a number of suits tailored by Reiss recently and have been extremely impressed with the quality of the alterations, they're completely unnoticable that it's not original. Plus the prices are very reasonable.

If you weren't already aware they'll tailor literally anything (within reason I suspect not underwear!) that you can buy there, so includes jackets, coats, shirts etc.

Nat

Style Icon
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Reiss don't do their own tailoring, but outsource it to local tailors (after adding a mark-up cost of course). If I'm right, you're actually praising the local tailor who did the work. Find out who that is, and go direct imo.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Reiss don't do their own tailoring, but outsource it to local tailors (after adding a mark-up cost of course). If I'm right, you're actually praising the local tailor who did the work. Find out who that is, and go direct imo.
    This is true, unless it changed. And I did just that. But what I have recently found is that Reiss will likely pin you a lot better than the tailor as the tailor has rules and guidelines in his head from when he started. The guys/girls that pin you at Reiss probably give you a more modern shape.
    I know it is up to me at the end of the day, but I would rather not make a bad move based off my untrained eye.

I am not sure if I am entirely happy with the fit of my suit after seeing the local tailor. I might post a pic for you to judge.
    Last edited by James; 03-09-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Trend Setter
    I would like to know what you guys think, to see if you have the same thoughts as me. Or whether its just me.
    Still needs a lot of tapering in my opinion.

Last edited by James; 03-09-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I would like to know what you guys think, to see if you have the same thoughts as me. Or whether its just me.

My local seamstress is a bit old fashioned - the first time I got her to take in trousers, I'd to argue with her about how much to take in the legs. She told me that if she took them in as much as I wanted her to that I would have trouble taking them off. I told her that's how I like them, so she said she'd do as asked, but when I got them back, she left them wider, so I pinned them myself at home & had her do them again.

The trousers on that suit definitely need tapering James and probably need to be taken up a small bit as they're bunching a bit on the top of your shoes.

But I'm no expert on suits... I think we need Creed in this thread!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    My local seamstress is a bit old fashioned - the first time I got her to take in trousers, I'd to argue with her about how much to take in the legs. She told me that if she took them in as much as I wanted her to that I would have trouble taking them off. I told her that's how I like them, so she said she'd do as asked, but when I got them back, she left them wider, so I pinned them myself at home & had her do them again.

The trousers on that suit definitely need tapering James and probably need to be taken up a small bit as they're bunching a bit on the top of your shoes.

But I'm no expert on suits... I think we need Creed in this thread!
    Lol, I enjoyed that story. Seems like most tailors/seamtresses I have met have the same view. The Tailor I took this too said no skinnier than 7 inches wide on the trouser. I couldnt quite picture them so took his word for it. Im not much of an expert. But would agree with your comments.

I would likely taper the arms as well, same may argue to take them up more. But I think theyre fine where they are, some shirts poke through more than others.

I am thinking to go Reiss and just ask them to sort this once and for all.

Fashionisto
    I think it looks great as it is James.

It looks classic, James. Bit if you're going for trendy / skinny, that ain't it.

I have two tailors I use in Bristol. One is more expensive and completely gets what I want, the other is cheaper but I have to really convince them that I actually want skinny.

Nat

Style Icon
    I had the same thing with my tailor originally, but he knows me now, so doesn't argue so much! Also, the guys in Reiss may give you a more modern fit, but they likely won't be experts in where/how to pin. I would go to the tailor every time.

Re your suit James, it fits fine (i.e. it's not too big), so just a matter of preference in terms of cut. You could taper more, and I would defintely hem the trousers an inch or two. They also look wider than 7" at the hem, though not sure on your build obv.

If you're going to slim the jacket at the waist, you'll need to slim the arms too probably. But atm the proportions look fine.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I think maybe a slight shortening of the leg, slimming of the arm and possibly even a small tapering under the arm each side to slim the torso, but Deffo the trousers and arms could be done a bit!

+ Reply to Thread