FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Upgrading my casual to smart casual

My job doesn't require me to wear smart or even smart casual at all. As i work outdoors and have an active/sometimes messy job its mostly jeans, trainers, hoodies. shorts and t-shirt in the summer and winter wear in the winter.

With this in mind, and as i love smart casual clothes (especially separates outfits) i've decided to dress smart casual for casual. Otherwise there isn't anything except weddings that will allow me to integrate this style into my life!

I've made a few purchases today online and wanted to show some pictures of what i've bought and ask for opinions on what could work well with them.

I haven't necessarily aimed for getting patterned stuff but these were in the sales which is what i was browsing. Will probably return one of the grey pairs but the last one is cropped so might keep both.

Also bought this (not to necessarily go with the above)

I know there is a sticky thread for 'what will look good with this' so to give this thread a bit of individuality what other clothing items do you think a person looking to upgrade to smart casual should incorporate into their wardrobe?

Trend Setter
    A blazer is the most obvious tbh, with the fabric dependent on the season. Oxford shirts, too. You could dress up something like a slim bomber jacket too for a modern style. Also, cardigans both shawl and v-neck, along with the usual v/crew/roll neck jumpers.

Any of those things + your purchases would make a very solid smart-casual outfit. The key to establishing how smart it is can be the shoes, though, which are due for some consideration. Brogues, desert/chukka boots, Chelsea boots all come to mind.

Trend Setter
    I own that exact same trench and I have to say that I have found it very difficult to style. For starters, the color is a bit darker than depicted so pairing it with brown boots (the majority color of boots I own) has been a chore. Also, the coat is lined rather thickly which, combined with some awkward pocket placement, takes away something from the silhouette.

If you (or anyone else) have any suggestions on styling that piece, I'd love to hear them!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonymism View Post
    I own that exact same trench and I have to say that I have found it very difficult to style. For starters, the color is a bit darker than depicted so pairing it with brown boots (the majority color of boots I own) has been a chore. Also, the coat is lined rather thickly which, combined with some awkward pocket placement, takes away something from the silhouette.

If you (or anyone else) have any suggestions on styling that piece, I'd love to hear them!
    Interesting. Will have to see how it is when it comes, it was between that one and this one when i was deciding on colour. Thankfully ASOS do free returns so if i find the fit is ok but the colour isn't i will probably exchange it for this one.

Will post my thoughts on this thread when it arrives.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    A blazer is the most obvious tbh, with the fabric dependent on the season. Oxford shirts, too. You could dress up something like a slim bomber jacket too for a modern style. Also, cardigans both shawl and v-neck, along with the usual v/crew/roll neck jumpers.

Any of those things + your purchases would make a very solid smart-casual outfit. The key to establishing how smart it is can be the shoes, though, which are due for some consideration. Brogues, desert/chukka boots, Chelsea boots all come to mind.
    Cheers for this info, you're response pleases me because a) i have a lot of the items you have suggested and b) what i don't have i have in mind to buy so it shows i am on the right lines.

Cheers mate.

+ Reply to Thread