FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

I love shirts - but nothing fits me!

First post here - been a lurking some weeks now - I feel now is the time (after way too many years wearing things that don't fit) to start a proper capsule wardrobe.

I love shirts and tailoring!
    But I need some help - I can't find any shirts that fit me.

I am 6'1, have a 37" chest, 30" waist, 15" collar and quite long arms (I prefer shirts that just hit the hand = 66cm or above in sleeve length).

If I find a shirt that has long enough sleeves, the collar and chest is too big. If I find the right size collar, the sleeves are too short and the chest is too big.

Another problem I find, is that if I find a shirt with a nice slim fit in the chest, I have zero movement in the arms...

Do you have any suggestions for brands that would fit me?

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Fashionisto
    What have you tried? Is it classic dress shirts you're after?

For the taller slimmer side, I would recommend people like All Saints, Ted Baker and Reiss, can always try a far east mtm company to as these don't cost much these days.

Trend Setter
    COS do their shirts in inch increments - order their 37 inch chest and pray the collar/arm fits! If not, take it to a tailor to make those minor adjustments, or try a made to measure service (which may be totally worth the cost).

Simwells: I am after both casual and dress shirts.
    I have tried a lot of different ones! Reiss sleeves are too short, Uniqlo's small Oxfords fit me really well, but too short sleeves (medium sleeves are perfect).
    I have zero movement in the TM Lewin Super Fitted - haven't tried Charles Tyrwhitt yet.

I have tried to find out if it is possible to lengthen shirt sleeves - and it seems that people cannot agree if it is possible or not.

I am also looking for "different" shirts, and not just plain whites, blues and stripes.

Trend Setter
    Do you not look at big and tall/tall ranges in places like Debenhams? They may provide that extra arm length with the right sizing and fit.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by StringEmil View Post
    Simwells: I am after both casual and dress shirts.
    I have tried a lot of different ones! Reiss sleeves are too short, Uniqlo's small Oxfords fit me really well, but too short sleeves (medium sleeves are perfect).
    I have zero movement in the TM Lewin Super Fitted - haven't tried Charles Tyrwhitt yet.

I have tried to find out if it is possible to lengthen shirt sleeves - and it seems that people cannot agree if it is possible or not.

I am also looking for "different" shirts, and not just plain whites, blues and stripes.
    TM Lewin and Charle Tyrwhitt are identical fits in my experience, seem to be an unusually similar business model for companies supposedly competing generally.

Sounds like it's going to be a struggle to find one of the shelf to be honest, and lengthening shirt sleeves isn't exactly easy and depends upon the particular shirt, you'll probably only gain at most a cm too.

Might be worth trying somewhere like Modern Tailor's $20 MTM shirt trial if they still do it.

You could try big and tall ranges too or last option is to get down to a gym and put on a little mass to fill out the next size up shirt!

I have very similar measurements to you and exactly the same problem.

The only time I've found a shirt that has fitted perfectly was in Suit Direct (Brand of shirt was Limehaus). I got it in 'super slim fit' and it fitted perfectly. It was just over 20 I think, this was at my local outlet though, so it might be worth having a look at some of them.

Obviously not as good as shirts from All Saints, Reiss, TM Lewin, etc but you can't go wrong for 20.
    Last edited by LewisSmith; Yesterday at 04:33 PM.

I'm a very similar size and I have quite a few TM Lewin casual oxford shirts in size small which fit really well. Tried Charles Tyrwhitt but their sleeves are shorter unfortunately.

Fashionisto
    If Charles Tyrwhitt sleeves are too short just select a longer sleeve length

Nat

Style Icon
    Yeah CT do longer sleeves for free. Our extra long ones for a fee iirc

+ Reply to Thread