FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

New Tailor - Bad Alteration

Hi Guys

I have just moved and went to a new local tailor/dry cleaners to have a taper done on my trousers, hoping they would do a good job as literally a quick stop on the way home from work. One leg now twists at the bottom slightly making the trousers look off.

If they cannot rectify this. Where do I stand, can I get compensation for the trousers for the total cost?

Anyone know? Not too happy as they charged more than my last and did a worse job.

Trend Setter
    Burn the whole establishment to the ground.

Fashionisto
    check on the inside, for if they have left the extra-over material on the inside of the seams. If so, there's a chance it could be rectified.
    if they can't fix it, and they have ruined them, then get your money back.

I'm going through a similar thing, found a new local 'alteration' service, and gave her a pair of my new troos to take up, as a quick n easy tester.
    Picked them up yesterday and all good. Put in another pair with her (for hem take-up), picking them up tomorrow....when I'll be dropping off an older pair of suit trousers, that I want tapering. Gonna go with the oldest/most-worn trousers first, see what sort of job she does, and if she fucks them up, I won't really care. But she is a professional seamstress/old/experienced, with her own shop, so it should be ok.

Not sure I would trust using the Dry Cleaners' alteration service for anything other than hem alterations?!
    I guess it depends on the individual DC's set-up, but I think tapering is a bit less of a straight-forward job than hem alterations. Dunno, just a thought.

Nat

Style Icon
    You should definitely get your money back, but they won't cover the cost of a new pair of trousers imo. Bit of a ballache, but just have to put it down to experience. And maybe take it to a decent tailor for their opinion whether or not it could be fixed. If the trousers are worth it, that is.

Trend Setter
    All the seams on my trousers that I have had tapered are a little twisted, i thought this may have been an unavoidable consequence of the alterations?

If not, I'm going looking for a new tailor...

Nat

Style Icon
    No, mine drape fine. I think there may be a limit to how much you can take off from one side only before it starts to twist, but a decent tailor will advise on this.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by ukalec View Post
    All the seams on my trousers that I have had tapered are a little twisted, i thought this may have been an unavoidable consequence of the alterations?

If not, I'm going looking for a new tailor...
    Never. I have never had this issue until I went here (name will be disclosed once I review).
    I go tomorrow morning to find out the deal.

They should alterate with no hesitation. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR RECEIPT! Many a place will try keep it, as did this place (cheeky ba*****s). If they do be wary.

Honeslty, I wont be going back at this time (teething issues) and would rather travel the extra miles.

Fashionisto
    On this subject, can anyone please recommend a good tailor/seamstress In the Nottingham
    Derby area?

+ Reply to Thread