FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Shirts? Where do you buy yours

Having a bit of an issue with shirts. I buy nearly all my clothes online, and spending a fortune trying to find some decent shirts!

Zara-Only buy in store, had mixed success.
    He by Mango- Poor quality
    Uniqlo- Bought two oxfords ins Slim fit. Sizing was horrible, fitted like tent. Difficult to iron, but seem sturdy
    Ralph Lauren- Picked up plaid sports shirt in tk max .. very happy with material and fit
    M&S- Dress shirt there, really loose fit even in slim. No iron big benefit, not most comfortable material.
    TM lewin- Picked up and oxford and a dress shirt. Material is good, but crease really really easy and impossible to iron.

Any suggestions>? Really wanted some nice dress shirts + work shirts, comfortable and good fit

Fashionisto
    Dress shirts - Next. Casual shirts - River Island. Both good value for money. Obviously you can pay more elsewhere and in some cases will get better quality.

Fashionisto
    I just got some work shirts from TM Lewin, though some of them (and a lot of them in their range) double up as casual shirts.
    I'm really happy with them, quality, look, fit, and especially the price @ 80 for 4. (or 35 each, as you're probably aware)
    Fit was always the issue for me. I'm a 38" chest, 5'10", generally either a small or medium, depending on the brand. The small in their casual shirts are bang on for me. Same with the 15 in slim fit dress shirts.
    I'll be getting a batch of staple Oxfords from them next.
    Different shirts have different material/feel to them though, so best off getting to a store to try, rather than online, if you can

Edit: I told 2 lies. The formal shirts I got are 'fitted' (not slim...fitted is slimmer than slim, in TMLs). These fit me the same as 'casual small'. And just looked on their site, and the price is now 4 for 100, which they must have just changed in the last few days, as I got 4 for 80 on Friday. Though would/will still be happy to pay 25 each for them
    Last edited by SteveK; Yesterday at 05:39 PM.

Trend Setter
    Wear TM Lewin shirts for work. They're decent quality, there isn't much I can say about them that Steve hasn't said. What I will add is that the slimfit aren't particularly slim - they fit me better now I'm a 40' chest, as opposed to a 38' (all muscle of course..). If you like a more fitted shirt, go for the Fitted range as Steve suggests.

Their deal varies - it's usually 4 for 80 on casual shirts and 4 for 100 on premium/double cuff shirts.

Trend Setter
    I buy most of mine from Paul Smith. Fantastic quality and small detailing and you can pick them up for decent prices online. Wouldn't buy the slim fit ones if you lift though as the arms are really skinny as well as the body being fitted.

Fashionisto
    For casual shirts Polo Ralph Lauren slim fit oxford or linen are fantastic but formal shirts are a massive hassle to get in a good fit. Im 6ft1 and 85kg with a 40''chest and even Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim fit in a 16'' neck doesn't fit particularly well.

Reiss have a great fit but apart from standard plain white, blue and pink there isn't much else I like of their formal shirt selection.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjie Baldini View Post
    Dress shirts - Next. Casual shirts - River Island. Both good value for money. Obviously you can pay more elsewhere and in some cases will get better quality.
    Never tried either tbh, I haven't shopped in River Island in years! They went tacky but seemed to have cleaned up their act a little, heard good things about next tho

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I just got some work shirts from TM Lewin, though some of them (and a lot of them in their range) double up as casual shirts.
    I'm really happy with them, quality, look, fit, and especially the price @ 80 for 4. (or 35 each, as you're probably aware)
    Fit was always the issue for me. I'm a 38" chest, 5'10", generally either a small or medium, depending on the brand. The small in their casual shirts are bang on for me. Same with the 15 in slim fit dress shirts.
    I'll be getting a batch of staple Oxfords from them next.
    Different shirts have different material/feel to them though, so best off getting to a store to try, rather than online, if you can

Edit: I told 2 lies. The formal shirts I got are 'fitted' (not slim...fitted is slimmer than slim, in TMLs). These fit me the same as 'casual small'. And just looked on their site, and the price is now 4 for 100, which they must have just changed in the last few days, as I got 4 for 80 on Friday. Though would/will still be happy to pay 25 each for them
    I never actually realised they were so cheap.. Perhaps I should call in store and see for myself instead of ordering online

Quote Originally Posted by LondonGer View Post
    Wear TM Lewin shirts for work. They're decent quality, there isn't much I can say about them that Steve hasn't said. What I will add is that the slimfit aren't particularly slim - they fit me better now I'm a 40' chest, as opposed to a 38' (all muscle of course..). If you like a more fitted shirt, go for the Fitted range as Steve suggests.

Their deal varies - it's usually 4 for 80 on casual shirts and 4 for 100 on premium/double cuff shirts.
    lol as long as its all gym gains bro it's all good

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbe84 View Post
    I buy most of mine from Paul Smith. Fantastic quality and small detailing and you can pick them up for decent prices online. Wouldn't buy the slim fit ones if you lift though as the arms are really skinny as well as the body being fitted.
    Interesting never thought of Paul Smith, will check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ehti View Post
    For casual shirts Polo Ralph Lauren slim fit oxford or linen are fantastic but formal shirts are a massive hassle to get in a good fit. Im 6ft1 and 85kg with a 40''chest and even Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim fit in a 16'' neck doesn't fit particularly well.

Reiss have a great fit but apart from standard plain white, blue and pink there isn't much else I like of their formal shirt selection.

Yea I'm currently 95 6'2.. Hoping to get back under 10% for summer and stay around 90 mark.. Going up and down in weight is really bad for clothes choices.. Actually wanted to ask about the Reiss ones, tried on a stretch cotton shirt before and it felt beautiful but my friend who bought same one said the hugo boss ones were much better for a little extra

Quote Originally Posted by jonard View Post
    Having a bit of an issue with shirts. I buy nearly all my clothes online, and spending a fortune trying to find some decent shirts!

Zara-Only buy in store, had mixed success.
    He by Mango- Poor quality
    Uniqlo- Bought two oxfords ins Slim fit. Sizing was horrible, fitted like tent. Difficult to iron, but seem sturdy
    Ralph Lauren- Picked up plaid sports shirt in tk max .. very happy with material and fit
    M&S- Dress shirt there, really loose fit even in slim. No iron big benefit, not most comfortable material.
    TM lewin- Picked up and oxford and a dress shirt. Material is good, but crease really really easy and impossible to iron.

Any suggestions>? Really wanted some nice dress shirts + work shirts, comfortable and good fit

+ Reply to Thread