FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

Going In Raw - First Try With Raw Denim

Okay so cringe thread title aside I figured I'd start a thread to show my 'journey' with my first pair of raw denim jeans. After going through pretty much one pair of dark indigo jeans a year I thought I may as well see what all the fuss was about. Ended up going for these from Uniqlo:

MEN Selvedge Slim Fit Straight Jeans*-*UNIQLO*UK*Online*fashion*store

At 35 they seemed a decent investment, if I didn't like them it's not like I wasted a tonne of money. First thing I noticed was how tight and rigid they felt, but after giving them a couple of wears they felt better. They're pretty tight around the crotch but again I'm hoping once the starch wears off they'll be a bit more comfortable. Here's how they look at the moment:

So far they've not got on too well with my Red Wings as they've bled onto them a bit, but I've just got some saddle soap so fingers crossed I can prevent the jeans from wrecking them.

Gonna try and give it a while before I give them their first soak so I can get those sick fadez. I'll be posting in this thread to track their progress, any tips would be very welcome!

Nice idea for a thread m8

I put my first pair of Edwins through a quick rinse cycle to soften them up after finding they were a little bit too uncomfortable at first. Didn't notice any fading or shrinkage, but it did help 'relax' the denim.

Trend Setter
    They look like they fit great too. Not skinny obv but a really good slim fit. Will be interested to see the end results on this.

Although I reckon this thing about them bleeding onto shoes (and surely fabrics in general? What about furniture, or other clothes? Is it just when it gets wet?) is a BIG downside.

FashionBeans Staff
    I bought a pair of these jeans about 6 months ago, I washed them quite quickly because they bled all over the hands, my clothes, the walls, everything. They will stretch but the crotch generally stays quite tight. For some reason mine also shrunk a LOT in length after I washed them, at least an inch I would say, I could roll them up as far as you have in your pics but now I only get one turn up out of them and they have to be worn with boots. Let me know how yours fair.

Des

Style Icon
    True that^
    Most of my jeans have either been sanforized already or have been too expensive for me to experiment with. Seeing as these were relatively inexpensive I gave em a soak no danger.

Pre soak

I won't tend to wear these much as I'm living in sweatpants and slip the Acne's on if I go out, so I will follow your progress with interest...

Trend Setter
    I am going to enjoy seeing how this progresses. I am glad you are trying it with a very affordable pair of jeans, because a good few articles i have read have been by real denim heads and their 200 raw jeans.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

@McCoy yeah speaking of bleeds...

Think I'm gonna have to give them a soak as they're going to ruin the most expensive thing I own besides my laptop. I don't mind the odd mark on my boots as it adds 'character' but I'm not so keen on blue patches. Potentially going to soak them this weekend.

@Bedhead yeah I'm hoping they'll soften up a bit, they have softened a lot so far but after the first soak they should even more so I hope.

@William well mine are cuffed three times and still are a bit long so honestly they could probably shrink by like three inches and I'd still be good. Hoping they turn out like yours sound like they did, shrinkage in length but not width. I'll definitely post about the soak soon though.

@Des they look really good on you man, hoping for a similar result. Slightly worried an early soak will ruin the natural fading process but I can't keep bleeding the denim dye everywhere to not do it soon.

@Ukalec thanks mate, hoping they end up being a good buy in the end. I suppose we'll soon find out!

Style Icon
    So, not only can you not wash these jeans when they are dirty, which is scummy, not only do the crotches blow out because they're full of scummy ball sac sweat, but now I discover that they leak dye all over the fucking place.

Seriously, what kind of madness is this?

Style Icon
    When a good pair of raw denim gets worn in they can look like this:

A pair of Samarai's

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    So, not only can you not wash these jeans when they are dirty, which is scummy, not only do the crotches blow out because they're full of scummy ball sac sweat, but now I discover that they leak dye all over the fucking place.

Seriously, what kind of madness is this?
    Exactly this, for me at least! If I get Indigo jeans, I want them to stay that colour!

Mind, I had similar issues with my Levi's and Red Wings, normally runs onto the white sole, which is a ball-ache...

Still, interesting to see how you get on, especially with a fairly budget option - refreshing!

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last