FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

HELP!!! Im going on my first date need advice

I need some advice and tips please guys

I am going on a date on weds and need tips/style advice on how to wear a polo neck (grey, navy or burgundy) these are the colours I have available to me. However I want to wear it with these shoes/loafers - Clarks Wallabees Doom ( Doom x Clarks Originals | Wallabee Shoe | Stuarts London | Stuarts London)

The reason i choose this because i want it to be casual but with a twist also.

so my question is with the shoes being brown and tanned at the bottom which colour roll neck top do i wear with it ? also what colour pair of jeans or trousers do i go for ? and lastly the blazer (i have grey, navy and velvet)

This my first date and I am in university as well but I like to dress to impress and fashion has always been something I've had much passion for but right now i a little lost for choice.

any advice and tips would be welcomed, would really love some tips too.

Thanks again

Fashionisto
    First off, I'd drop those shoes. I can't really see them working with a blazer and roll-neck, even if you're going for a "twist" (you probably don't want to be rocking-the-boat for a date anyway). The dark brown colour is fine, but I'd switch them with more traditional loafers, brogues, chelsea boots, or derby shoes. Perhaps even desert boots would work if you want to sit more on the casual side.

As for the rest of the look, those colours are rather interchangeable, so it's up to you which you want to go for. For example, you could go with the grey blazer, burgundy roll-neck, and navy trousers / chinos (even indigo jeans providing they're neat, rather than distressed etc). Or you could choose the navy blazer with burgundy roll-neck, and go with grey trousers / chinos. There are more options in there - it's all up to you really. You could even go with black trousers / chinos / jeans if your only alternative footwear is black.

Trend Setter
    I agree those shoes don't really chime right.

Firstly you need to personalise the outfit to the situation - there's no point looking super smart and sharp if you're going out on a fun and more casual kind of date. Secondly, take into consideration the kind of style that your date likes to see - it's about being yourself, however. Therefore, it's a balancing act of what side of yourself that you want to convey through your outfit. Confidence (but not overconfidence) is key so be comfortable in your choices. Maybe wear the outfit around the house a few days before and get really used to carrying it off. Like you say, being fashionable is a key part of your personality so you want that stylish yet relaxed confidence.

Fashionisto
    Great advice already, and id only add to that the most important bit is feeling comfortable and confident. Don't try too hard and wear something you wouldn't normally, or are remotely conscious wearing, as that will just bother you throughout and that will reflect.

Do anything beforehand that makes you feel good. Put your favourite tunes on and have a bit of a boogie in your house, watch some comedy to get you laughing and smiling, and whatever else gets you up for a night out normally. Bit of self grooming maybe - trim etc.

Lastly mate good luck

Trend Setter
    Aye, ditch those shoes in general. As has been said it's about the situation - I feel just as confortable in jeans, a t and leather jacket as I do in a blazer and trousers because I scope out venues beforehand. If it's a place you haven't been before, get on their website, Twitter etc and get the vibe before you commit to a particular outfit. If you have time post an outfit pic on here beforehand and you will get 100% honest feedback.

Finally, make sure you empty the barrels before you meet up with the young lady, coz you just never know

Des

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by djjjuk View Post
    Do anything beforehand that makes you feel good.
    There it is

Guy's Thanks a lot for the advice and recommendations, i really appreciate it.

shame about the shoes but I will replace them with these: Clarks desert boots trooper

I also have these which i ordered from asos :
    ASOS | ASOS Slim Fit Blazer In Italian Wool at ASOS

United Colors of Benetton | United Colors Of Benetton Merino Wool Jumper With Roll Neck at ASOS

ASOS | ASOS Slim Fit Blazer In 100% Wool at ASOS

this is what i have available :

Style Icon
    You have approximately 0.2% chance of getting your hole if you wear those shoes. They look like something a misguided mother would buy her 10 year old son.

My advice would be not to wear new shoes at all - not unless you get to break them in first. If it's a first date, you wanna be wearing something you feel comfortable in and won't wreck your feet. Plus, you really don't want to look like you're trying too hard. For that reason, I definitely wouldn't wear a velvet blazer either.. keep it simple.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by guideme101 View Post
    Guy's Thanks a lot for the advice and recommendations, i really appreciate it.

shame about the shoes but I will replace them with these: Clarks desert boots trooper

I also have these which i ordered from asos :
    ASOS | ASOS Slim Fit Blazer In Italian Wool at ASOS

United Colors of Benetton | United Colors Of Benetton Merino Wool Jumper With Roll Neck at ASOS

ASOS | ASOS Slim Fit Blazer In 100% Wool at ASOS

this is what i have available :

You got in just before me there! Those boots are better... don't really like the soles, but much better than the shoes. Out of the two blazers, I'd opt for the wool one. Pair that with the roll neck and a pair of black skinnys & you're good to go. If you could switch the boots for a pair in brown, even better.

Fashionisto
    Have to agree mate those shoes are ... not the best?

+ Reply to Thread