FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Tux/Dinner Suit Help

I need to get a Tux/Dinner Suit for my work christmas party and I was hoping for some advice on what to get.

I would like something versatile and on the conservative size so it can be used for different occasions. I'm probably looking to spend around 200-250

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Trend Setter
    There are really two aspects to your question: (1) what to look for in a good dinner jacket/tuxedo and (2) what to recommend within your price bracket.

As regards the first question I'd recommend The Black Tie Guide (The Black Tie Guide: Tuxedo Style & Etiquette). It's a really good website run with a passion for what makes the best evening wear. It tends to the traditional in its approach - but that sounds like what you are after. I'd look at the sections on Classic and Contemporary dinner jackets. There is a 'quick guide' part which summarises this further.

My advice would be to look at a single breasted dinner jacket in black or genuine midnight blue (a blue so dark it looks black not the dark navy that is sometimes sold as midnight). I would go for peak lapels or a shawl collar - they look swankier than notch lapels. Make sure it has just one button on the front. Avoid suits with single vent on the jacket (double vents or none are both fine). I would look for a suit where the waistband isn't so low that you get a white triangle showing beneath the button when you button your jacket and stand with a hand in your pocket - it looks really obvious and mars the look of otherwise really good modern dinner suits.

As for recommendations for buying one, you'll be looking at off the peg suits, given the time constraints. I'd suggest TM Lewin - at 190 it is bang in your price range (Mayfair Black 1-Button Regular Fit Dinner Suit | T.M.Lewin I've not tried their dinner jacket but their other suits tend to be pretty good for the price. Austin Reed might be worth looking at and I see that they have some jackets in their ongoing sale too. Secondhand is always worth trying too - there are often some very good vintage examples out there. Dinner jackets get worn less and cared for better than most suits so they tend to survive in decent condition. As ever, the usual advice about always trying on a range of suits applies.

Thanks, I ended up getting it from TM Lewin in the end. Seemed to be the best option for price to quality ratio they I could find in my size. Just need to take it off to get tailored now, you wouldn't happen to know anywhere that comes recommended in London?

+ Reply to Thread