FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

What is style to you?

I don't believe there is a one size fits all answer to this. Have been pondering late into the night what exactly makes a man stylish.

To me, it means wearing the simple pieces beautifully. For example, a guy who can look stylish when wearing a white shirt and black trousers and black shoes. Or a white oxford shirt and sky blue chinos. The quality of the clothing should shine through imo.

To me, style is showing you've put some thought into your outfit for the occasion (Evening, or just walking around town on a Sunday afternoon). Anyone can throw on some chinos and blazer but to me, the devil is in the detail; From Jacket lining to socks - Whatever it may be, it's the small things that set you apart. If you can make it look effortless, then so much the better.

Love the question btw, looking forward to the responses.

JLG

Fashionisto
    I think its how you represent yourself , If you have a fun personality , Your in Uni and your studying art but then wearing suits everyday it doesent really represent you that well and i think you have to show off your personality through your style and not just dress well , As someone said above anyone can go on the internet and look at celebs styles and copy them , But that might not show your style.

I think style is everything aswell , Fashion i would just class as clothes and maybe accessories etc but style is more about you as i said , Its not just your clothes but everything about you should represent your style , If your a flashy guy then you shouldent be driving a car thats breaking down for example.It just represents everything about you , How you smell , How you talk etc.

I dont know if that made sense but thats what i think of it anyway

rrk

To me, your style is how you express yourself. Being fashion conscious doesn't mean just wearing expensive clothes. It is about wearing clothes with a right fit and carrying with an attitude that means, I take myself seriously, so you need to take me seriously as well (Works in personal and professional lives).

No one takes you seriously unless you take yourself seriously (in a professional world), so dressing appropriately and carrying oneself well is key.

Trend Setter
    For me, style is what inspire me at the moment. I can't point my finger and say "Oh this is my style and that". For example, last night I wore a grunge outfit and the day before that I am inspired to wear a lil bit of Rick Owens. So really my style is really unpredictable. I don't usually care if I over dressed on a occasion what I care the most is I am having fun while doing it. Likewise with others here its an expression so play with it and don't be afraid to make mistake just have fun with it.
    Last edited by JadeManalac; 05-12-2014 at 11:53 AM.

FashionBeans Legend
    Clothes are what you buy. Style is what you make of them.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Agreed. I perceive style to be the art form, the creative part of getting dressed in your own way.

It can also be linked to the way you act, talk and carry yourself. The language you use and the people around you, even down to the drink you drink and the food you eat.

Many of the icons we refer to, James Dean for instance are known for more than their clothes. Their style is everything about them.
    Just dressing well is only half the battle.

Trend Setter
    It's a state of mind, 100%. The coolest people of all time know they're the bollocks and act/dress accordingly.

I have no problem in saying I know my own style and own it to the best of my ability, and neither should anyone else.

Fashionisto
    As someone touched upon on here, I think a lot of it is to do with how all of the little details fit together to create an exceptional "overall" expression. From the fragrance the man has to the way he arranges the colours in his clothing. It all has to be congruent, man and his clothes.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Ding! Ding!! Ding!!! This is winner answer

+ Reply to Thread