FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    rrk

Casual Blazer

Hey Guys,

I finally decided to invest in a Casual Blazer (never owned one). The plan is for the Blazer to go with Jeans/Chinos/Trousers as a Business Casual look (finish it with a Tan Brogue). While at CT earlier today, I saw this jacket Navy moleskin unstructured slim fit jacket | Men's blazers & jackets from Charles Tyrwhitt, Jermyn Street, London

Whats your take on this? Really love the moleskin smoothness and texture but not sure if this can be used at least in three of the seasons (except Summer)?

Unfortunately, this suit doesn't have elbow patch which I was keen on. Found an alternative at Moss, Blazer Tailored Fit Navy Linen Cotton Blazer

Excluding the 50 price difference, between these two what do you think is the ideal Blazer meant for Smart Business Casual look?

Thanks.

Style Icon
    The first
    I only have a moleskin jacket from AllSaints and that seems to be a heavy material. I tend to wear it more in Autumn than Summer due to its thickness. It seems clean, but not sure how versatile the material can be for what you want.

The second
    I dislike elbow patches in general and think they can often cheapen the look of a jacket (just my opinion). This jacket is made of 52% linen so you need to to take this into consideration. I have seen guys wearing full linen in Winter which is somewhat odd to me as I see this as a Summer material due to is breath-ability and lightweight.

You ideally want to find something in the middle of these 2. Something of Wool maybe better and something slightly on the thicker side of things at this time of year. I would not get elbow patches personally and look for notch lapels, single vent, 1-2 button and slim fitting.

Of course these are my preferences. But the most stand out thing about your OP is material choices, when really this should be one of your first considerations. They are practically at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Style Icon
    Moleskin: Men

Linen/Summer: Men

Some material choices: Buying A Suit Guide

There are a few things to think about when choosing material, which at first can seem overwhelming. What it really comes down to is making sure youre not sweating under thick layers in the Summer and freezing under thin layers in the Winter.

rrk

James, interesting perspective and thanks a lot for the valuable info. Yes, since its my first casual Blazer making some rookie mistake of having one Jacket for most of the seasons. Most likely I wont be using the blazer in Summer and ideally looking for something from Autumn to early Spring (Nov-Mar).

I loved the fit and the softness of moleskin but thats my first blazer in years, which I actually tried. So, will go around and try few more of these blazers next week (I work in Regent Street) to finalise. I also saw couple of articles about Harris Tweed collection in Primark. Have never been to Primark in the last 5 years but will give it a try as well.

Cheers.

Style Icon
    Have a look and browse keeping one or two in mind, but I would hold out till the Jan sales or a good discount code now. Not too far off and you can get better than you bargained for price wise.

Worth buying a good one if you can, just dont blow money and have it not fit. Honestly, that really is the only mistake you can make. Bad material choice can be worn at a later date if that was the only one you made, size is harder to alter.

+ Reply to Thread