FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Thoughts on this jacket?

Is there a 'thoughts on this item' thread? Might be cool to get one stickied if not.

Anyway, thinking of picking up this parka bomber jacket from Topman, something a bit different but think it'd look sweet with a nice pair of raw denim and all black or all white cps.

Thoughts?

Access Denied

J8x

Trend Setter
    Really like this. The bomber is being done to death at the moment but with good reason as it's a versatile jacket, but this gives a different aesthetic. I'm picturing it with a plain white tee, pair of black or indigo jeans and a pair of boots but think it'll work with quite a few different looks. I'd say go for it, for 70 I'm sure you'll get enough wear to justify it. Would bag it myself if Christmas hadn't hammered the bank account.

Fashionisto
    Good idea, poor execution.

It could just be because of the photo and the styling, but it just looks a bit cheap to me, and the model looks awkward having to wear it.

FashionBeans Legend
    What makes a parka is the hood, what makes a bomber is it's short cut. They have taken away the two key elements of two classics and combined them into what in all essence looks like a longline bomber. It really doesn't work for me.

A bomber with a parka hood might have been a better idea.

Fashionisto
    I don't like Bombers very much at all (makes me think of thugs 'n' skinheads - and Grant Mitchell from Eastenders), so I'm already on a 'no' as it is, but this, to me, looks awful. I've never liked the way Bombers ends are close together, then taper further apart as you go down the jacket. This doesn't do this so much - perhaps because it's longer, but it still does.

All, slimy and shiny and sickly green...

In my head I have a mixture of an inexpensive raincoat (probably the colour and shininess), one of my Grandma's old housecoats and something a homeless person would wear to keep themselves warm... - I guess it's doesn't seem very smart? Perhaps if it was in a bolder green, or a black or a bold blue...

I don't think the hybrid parka-bomber works too well - I get the impression from looking around that hybrid styles aren't that successful?

Having said all this, it's my own view and for all I know with the right clobber, it may look great (the model in it doesn't help the jacket very much at all).

I'm not convinced by long bombers so it's a no for me, but I'm sure the right person could make it work and I like that it's something a bit different.

It's definitely not a classic style so if you're looking for an investment this ain't it.

Nat

Style Icon
    When I first saw it I thought it was a definite no-no. But it's actually alright. Particularly the view from behind (no homo.....). I wouldn't go for it myself, but I could see it working.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the input guys.

I haven't seen it in person and was hoping it might be more waxy than shiny.

Unsure whether I'll bother with it but thought it might be cool for the winter months even it is only for a season. Paired with a tartan scarf, raw denim and brown boots I think (providing the jacket is decent quality) it would be a nice look.

Appreciate it's not everyones tastes which is why this forum works.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    (no homo.....)
    Gotta be careful using that phrase on here Nat

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Gotta be careful using that phrase on here Nat
    I would like to think it was taken as the parody it was intended to be!

+ Reply to Thread