FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Trend Setter

How do you afford your clothes?

Lads,

So I've been thinking about this more and more lately as my taste gets more and more expensive (of which I primarily blame this forum for ha).

So how do you afford your clothes?

- Does your salary allow you to buy what you want?
    - Do you not spend money going out/drinking?
    - Do you sacrifice something else in some way?
    - Are you just careful with your money and purchases so that you only buy exactly what you need?

I live and work in London so that is where most of my money ends up going. This also means I end up going out (and to restaurants) as well as spend money on drink. In the short term it is not something I am really willing to sacrifice in order to buy that one extra piece.

I guess for me that's what hesitates me when making larger purchases.

So just wondering how you guys afford your clothes and thought it could be an interesting topic...

Trend Setter
    Salary allows me to have a clothes budget if X amount every month.

During my uni days I would hold back a bit on going out if there was something I really wanted.

Fashionisto
    Great Question. I can budget pretty well so I always know within each month what I can and can't spend.. however, inevitably there is other stuff I end up wanting (needing) that stretches that budget so I deal with that by gaining funds through sacrificing other usual spends, such as selling off old stuff to make way, dropping a night out from a week out the month, buying less music (of which I buy a lot) or whatever else (haven't had to sell my body yet though... )

Over time I've really learnt to not impulse buy and really take my time to decide whether the purchase is worth it or not.. I've wasted a lot of money over the years on stuff I liked on first sight but quickly bored of, so I give each piece I plan to buy a good few looks and tries-on when possible before taking the plunge with it. It does mean missing out sometimes on stuff I want, but that's a risk I'm happy to take.

Fashionisto
    I've only recently begun to take more interest in what I'm wearing, though given I'm in my late 30s, I'm tending to focus more on classic styles rather than "fashion" as it were. I'm quite fortunate in that being married with no kids, we both earn reasonable wages. I don't spend that much on most items, trying to balance quality and cost and obviously fit being key. Having a motorbike and two cars (both mine), a passion for photography and a wife with a horse, we're not short of things we like to spend on, and that's before going out, etc. On the plus side, we've a comparatively small mortgage and are down to about 12 years left of paying it.

Given how many clothes some people on here seem to own, more of an issue to me is when to wear everything, given I'm in a suit and tie 5 days a week, and on an evening will just throw on whatever I have to hand to slob around the house in!

Trend Setter
    I'm spending too much at the moment really. I've given myself a 1200 budget this year though and I'm accounting for every purchase, sending everything back I don't like. No buying for the sake of it. I think about 100 a month is about right really for someone who has it as one of their main interests.

I'm also going to try and sell some of the gear I don't use and save that money up/use it to pay for the budget.

I don't really go out though these days, I spend nights in with my partner and the occasional meal/occasion out with friends. Even if I spent, what, 20 a week on going out, that'd be my clothes budget for the year more-or-less. I probably spend that a month on booze, if that at the moment.
    My fashion blog, 24 Pinfold Street at wordpress.
    Instagram: samrjclemens

Trend Setter
    I'm a nurse here in Hong Kong with a decent salary. I don't travel that much and I don't have any vices aside from buying HIGH END stuffs. I avoid eating out and I walk from my house to work to gym then take a bus back home almost everyday. I don't have a car though I do have 2 motor bikes (Honda CBR600 & Kawasaki 400cc). The 40% of salary usually goes to my rent, bills, food & essentials then the rest is I can save or spend freely.

Normally, I do my clothes shopping during sale season & if its something I really like I don't mind paying the full price. I try not to over spend on clothes but my most expensive purchase is my Givenchy sweater. I tend to spend more on my bags & shoes. This year, I am trying to limit myself on 1 bag per year bcoz I don't want to over spend again and getting 3 bags like last 2014 (Givenchy, Kenzo and Balenciaga). I just feel like bags have more reselling value than clothes though I haven't sold any of my item yet.

FashionBeans Staff
    - I plan all my purchases and prioritise which I need more so I can be sure every item has the maximum impact on my wardrobe i.e gets worn a lot, can be worn with everything else.
    - I have a small wardrobe and I'll wear all of my clothes to death before replacing them.
    - I will also buy specific items from specific shops because I know they produce the best quality, fit etc for that item (i.e t shirts from GAP, knitwear from H&M, Jeans from H&M/uniqlo) and I know I won't be replacing them after 2 months.
    - I also picked up quite a few bits working at Reiss.

I never really splurge because I don't have the disposable funds to but I can usually feed myself for about 20 a week and my kickboxing isn't too expensive but I tend to spend a lot of money a week on alcohol.

I also keep my spirits up by holding onto the belief that one day I will have a decent wage and be able to buy clothes without having to worry about it too much.

JLG

Fashionisto
    As the poster above said , I would have a lot more clothes if it wasent for alcohol (Not just alcohol , But the costs of a night out - Taxi there and back - Entrance fees - Food etc) which is the biggest cost for me (And has been for a while through school)

If i was interested in clothes / style as much as i am now , a while back then i could of easily saved up some of that money , Maybe avioided some of the night outs and built up a wardrobe , However i have only recently become interested in style and now i have to buy a macbook for Uni , But any other money i get (That doesent go towards night outs) will be going towards my wardrobe for uni , Im in a good position as i have to pay nothing for accommodation (Parents) and have to make only a little contribution to food etc in the house because my parents know im saving for uni next year.

The one thing that puts me off buying pieces right now is the fact im missing so much , As well as that the pieces in my wardrobe are a mix beetween my old self who didnt care about his clothes and the newer clothes that are a mix of smart/casual so i really need to get a plan of what i want , What will be more beneficial to me , Where are the best places to get certain items (Jeans , Jumpers / cardigans , T shirts) , How much i will need / what im keeping from my current wardrobe etc , Hard to come up with a plan like that though when im working most days , And then working on my portfolio for my university interviews when im not working

Trend Setter
    While I was in Uni I used to scour Charity shops on a weekly basis to find gems - I did pretty well really.
    Now I'm working fulltime I obviously have some spare cash as I live quite a modest lifestyle (aside from the nights out) so I can buy things from actual shops now. It's nice.

JLG

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by BrightonMike View Post
    While I was in Uni I used to scour Charity shops on a weekly basis to find gems - I did pretty well really.
    Now I'm working fulltime I obviously have some spare cash as I live quite a modest lifestyle (aside from the nights out) so I can buy things from actual shops now. It's nice.
    Might have to keep that remembered , I dont go into charity shops but your on such low money in uni i couldent see myself spending the kind of money on items that they charge in shops and ive seen quite a few people have success getting some nice items in charity shops.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last