FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Yay or Nay? Men's Jersey Casual Blazer

Dont know know how to add a photo so a link'll have to suffice! ASOS | ASOS Slim Fit Jersey Military Blazer at ASOS

Be honest, I'm only considering it 'cause it's dirt cheap! So what do y'all think?

Cheers, Joel.

Jay

Style Icon
    I have a simple rule when buying clothes: if I wouldn't have paid full price for it, I don't buy it.

Style Icon
    I like it, and its quite versatile. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I have a simple rule when buying clothes: if I wouldn't have paid full price for it, I don't buy it.
    I do agree with this on the whole, but I think it requires the caveat if I had enough money to buy it full price.

This item is another exception imo. I think it's a nice garment, I wouldn't have paid £80 for it because it's jersey, but at that price I don't really see why not. I have a jersey blazer from Zara and it always gets nice comments, and it can be worked into a lot of different looks.

Jay

Style Icon
    Yeah, you're right Pin Money.

What I was trying to say in a clumsy way was don't buy it only because its heavily discounted but because you actually like it. I've wasted so much much on 'bargains' in sales that I've never ended up wearing because the only reason I bought it was because it was too cheap not to.

I'm iffy on that particular blazer. I quite like the shape in some respects, but the material looks a bit like sweatpants material. It's something I'd want to have a feel of before buying personally (although Asos do free returns, so worth a punt).

Sam

Style Icon
    I like the fact that it has peak lapels; more things should have those.
    Jersey blazers are things I've never gotten on with, really. But if you were to wear it over, say, a corduroy shirt, it'd probably make for an interesting play on textures.
    As has been said, consider whether you would have bought it if the price on there were the original retail price. And as has also been said, Asos do free returns. So might as well go for it!
    Come to think of it, it would probably look smashing under, say, a gilet. Needs something to add a firmer texture somewhere.

Trend Setter
    I personally don't like this item, however if you think it will go with items you already own and you'll definitely wear it then snap it up.

I'm gonna say that you should head to your mirror and take a look at your shoulder shape. An unstructured jacket is not for everyone, and if you have let's say, sloping shoulders, you're going to look sloppy and won't be pleased. And like others have said, don't buy something just to buy it.

Sometimes it's better to just put that money in a jar and start a "this is for something I really want" fund. Most people would be surprised how often they drop $20-$40 on some random item while they let much nicer things pass them by because they see things as out of their price bracket.

+ Reply to Thread