FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

What to Wear With My Yellow Henri Lloyd Jacket?

Hey FB crew

I've got a wonderful new jacket for the rainy season- a Henri Lloyd Berkely jacket in yellow.

It's well positioned for the fisherman / heritage / nautical trends, but it's very bold and as such requires some thought to create outfits around. I was hoping that some of you fine chaps would give me some ideas of what to team it with?

Here's a pic:

Style away!

Come on someone!

Jay

Style Icon
    Thinking of the fisherman trend how about a fisherman knit jumper like this (but would be equally awesome in cream too).

Stick that with a good pair of indigo slim to skinny jeans and a pair of hiking boots (with big chunky knit socks):

I reckon that would look pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Jay; 31-10-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Sam

Style Icon
    What a great colour!
    The thing I like about that is that it's just rich enough; you can get a more tonal look using neutrals, or really bring out the colour with a good contrast. It really depends on your skin tone; if you're lucky enough to be quite tanned, the former will suit you, whilst for the paler gent the latter would work well. If you're dark skinned you can get away with both easily!
    It'll be easiest just to give you some basic examples of what I mean.
    So, for the former look, playing down the boldness of the colour and playing up the nautical/heritage trends the jacket hits, I'd try:

The yellow in the jacket should bring out the cream of the jumper, and the cable knit and Sperry boots hit the nautical trend perfectly. Incidentally I also still prefer blue jeans to chinos as a casual trouser but it's your call; if you were to go for chinos I'd suggest you avoid the de rigeur earthy tones as you'll then be approaching a one colour outfit.

I'll give another example in the next post because of the image limit.

Sam

Style Icon
    The second look is a bit more colourful and modern; instead of the heritage trends this one hits the broader trend for bright colours:

The blue and the yellow contrast nicely, with a white shirt as a nice anchor - blue jeans again as a casual staple, and suede shoes add a preppy touch. This look is almost minimalist in its simplicity.

Those are just a couple of the looks you could try! I hope you like them. I do think creams and blues are a good place to start. I love the jacket you've got.

Btw all the pieces except the blue jumper are on ASOS.

Thanks Sam and Jay!

Jay- your look is pretty much how I've been thinking would be the best way to wear it, except my look used a cream jumper and black jeans with brown All Saints worker boots. I hadn't thought of bringing the socks in though (which I will be doing!), and I wasn't sure about the indigo/yellow contrast, but the indigo jeans might be a better shout- will give it a go!

Sam- your first look is also quite similar to what I have been doing. Funny you should say about the one colour outfit not working- I had been teaming it with grey jeans, grey knitwear and tan brogues at first, which worked well in my head but didn't translate into a good outfit. I do think such a bold colour requires some contrast, whereas I was trying to blend it in in an effort to neutralise it.

I do like your 2nd look too Sam, but the only jumper I have in that sort of colour is a blue Lyle & Scott v-neck- is Lyle & Scott still acceptable in 2011?

Incidentally, the jacket was reduced from £270 to £130, and then I talked them down to £60 because of a small mark on it. The mark is slightly annoying but as it's Millerain fabric it marks very easily anyway, and I'm looking forward to breaking it in, which should also ease the colour a tad.

Sam

Style Icon
    To be perfectly honest Lyle and Scott is a brand I've never come into contact with! I mean, if the branding's something you don't like then fair enough, stick it back in the drawer or give it to Oxfam, but a blue jumper's a blue jumper, so if it works try it out.

By the way Jay, I like the look! I'm quickly getting the impression you're a stylish guy haha

+ Reply to Thread