FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

What to pick up with 50 a month

Hey guys I have a house to run a misses and a minimum wage job so don't have a lot of money to spare each month.So any ideas where I could pick up decent stuff from to build up my wardrobe with this really tight budget? Its hard believe me so any tips or ideas or anything would be great. Boab

FashionBeans Legend
    A budget of 600 quid a year is small, but it's still doable. Once you shop clever and plan all your purchases, you should be able to dress yourself well. The high-street, and even more so, high street sales are your best bet.. but I'd stick to online purchases - free deliveries, free returns, less likely to impulse buy.

Asos, River Island, Zara, Topman, Primark, H&M etc... all worth shopping at. Half the stuff they sell is crap but the other half is a bargain - well worth sifting through the crap to find a good deal.

I spent Saturday evening shopping for a few bargains on some basics I needed and between Zara & River Island, I bought 3 sweatshirts, 2 joggers, 3 tees, a trenchcoat, a pair of trousers, some plimsoles and a messenger bag all for 230. The River Island stuff was heavily discounted, the Zara stuff, I paid full retail for, but if I waited for a sale there, I'd have got the lot for under 200 quid.

If I were you, I'd make a list of all the things I'd be likely to need for the year, including winter gear, loungewear, work clothes etc. Then do up a budget of what you can realistically afford to spend to cover everything. Go online, find as many versions of each item as you can from different retailers and bookmark them. Then sign up to each site to get their newsletters - that way you'll know whenever they are having sales or discounting items. When the sales come up, check the bookmarks and see if they're discounted. If it's within budget, then buy it.

It might mean buying stuff a season behind, but if you can buy a coat in March for a third of the retail price it was pre-Christmas, then it's well worth it.
    Last edited by DorianGrape; 30-03-2015 at 01:40 AM.

It's worth looking in TK Maxx stores, they always have different stuff and you may need to be flexible on what you are looking for, but that clearance rail can kick up a few gems at times.

Also have a look on eBay, I've got some bits on there at the moment going cheap for example.

22themead | eBay

Hit me up if you fancy any that, I'll happily do you a deal. The cashmere overcoat is a stoopid bargain tbh, it's so nice.

Make a list of what you want and wait for the sales. Personally I use pinterest to keep everything in one place (or you can use built in wishlists on sites), it's a good way to see and keep track of everything then go through it during sale season to see what you can get. You'd be surprised to see how much stuff you can get discounted in your size when you are on top of it, rather than trawling through the scrap ends of a sale. This will also stop you from making impulse purchases.

Take advantage of free deliveries and returns as well if you're shopping online. I honestly can't remember the last time I paid full price for anything since I've been doing this, just because I know it will be cheaper if I wait.

Yeah thats a great idea guys buying offline the only downside is the fit if I was needing whatever it was for a night out or whatever but I think I'm defo going to try everything you guys said thanks

Hey DG, been checking the forums for a while now but just registered, just wondering whether you got the trench coat from river island or zara? I've been looking round for a while now and planning to buy one in a week or two... any feed back on the quality / feel of the trench would be great! I haven't tried on the river island ones yet but I was thinking if they're anything like topman or Burton they'l be stiff as a board.

ASOS! free returns, A range of value & quality also they have good sales.

As for high street I think asmost have mentioned h&m, Zara, River island & also topman.

Fashionisto
    I would highly recommend Uniqlo for basics as well, there Oxford shirts, tee's, jeans etc. are all spot on and very keenly priced!

+ Reply to Thread