FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Style Icon

Monthly Challenge - April 8th - 5 High-Low Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by paul-b View Post
    On that point, today's article gives some great ideas on the formal dress-down front, and is more inclusive since it features blazers and formal coats too, rather than just suits. I reckon most people should be able to come up with something in that ballpark: 5 Great High-Low Combinations
    Hey guys, so this month's gonna be based on the article linked above in Paul's suggestion. Basically we have 5 areas to play around in, so choose any and get cracking:

1. Trainers and Tailoring

2. Suits & Tees

3. Blazers & Shorts (bit too cold right now for this tbh, but more power to you if you can pull it off!)

4. Coat & Sunday Uniform

5. Gilet & Blazer

P.S. Mods, sticky this and remove the older stickies. Cheers and best of luck!
    Last edited by malti001; 08-04-2015 at 03:40 PM.

FashionBeans Legend
    Bonus points if you manage to get a fit with trainers & shorts on the bottom half and a tee, gillet, blazer & overcoat on top.

Blazers in 4 of the 5 looks tho :-/

I actually fundamentally disagree with all of them except Overcoat + Sunday uniform

Will be interesting to see if anyone can change my opinion

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    Blazers in 4 of the 5 looks tho :-/

I actually fundamentally disagree with all of them except Overcoat + Sunday uniform

Will be interesting to see if anyone can change my opinion
    Sneakers and a suit can look cool, but it's a very fine line to really pull it off well imo. On the flipside, I'm actually struggling to think of any real life situations were that combo would be acceptable though.

Trend Setter
    Hopefully the looks in the article (good job putting them in the thread, Malti) give you all enough ideas. There should be plenty of leeway too, like if you have some casual shoes you could wear with a suit instead of trainers, why not, or if you have a shirt with a casual print instead of a T, give it a go. The general idea is to have an obvious mix of formal and casual in a single outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Bonus points if you manage to get a fit with trainers & shorts on the bottom half and a tee, gillet, blazer & overcoat on top.
    I'd be pretty amazed if someone has all of those items in their wardrobe, let alone colours and textures that match, so I'd probably vote just for that

Got to add I'm kinda with ICA on most of them, and probably wouldn't go out in them myself, but I figured it'd be an interesting challenge in that sense, and the winner is likely going to have to come up with something pretty decent.

MLM

Trend Setter
    Gotta agree with the point about almost all of the 5 things involving a blazer, kinda limits what I like about the forum - the mix of smart and street-style looks that you guys have - but hopefully will see some interesting ideas that aren't just about looking smart.

Trend Setter
    Well if you can mix formal and casual whilst dropping the suit jacket / blazer, I personally wouldn't be bothered. I was envisaging several ways of doing this, just so long as there's something relatively formal in the outfit, rather than a completely casual take on things. To be honest it would be pretty boring if we all just wore a suit with a T and trainers, so the more variety we get the better, even at the expense of the blazer.

I certainly didn't intend for us to stick religiously to one of those five categories (rather to use them as ideas), so apologies if that's how the challenge idea came across. Normally we're relatively loose with challenge rules anyway, so I'm expecting some of you to come up with some decent ideas that don't follow that article so strictly anyway.

FashionBeans Legend
    Underpants and a cravat. The ultimate Smart meets Casual.

Where's Ukalec when ya need him?

Trend Setter
    I don't really get the situation when a suit and trainers would ever really be appropriate either. It might look ok , but when would a situation arise whereby you thought it was so formal you would need to wear a suit, but not so formal that you couldn't wear trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
    I don't really get the situation when a suit and trainers would ever really be appropriate either. It might look ok , but when would a situation arise whereby you thought it was so formal you would need to wear a suit, but not so formal that you couldn't wear trainers?
    I think the occasion in question is a lookbook photoshoot

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last