FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

FashionBeans Legend

Your Favourite "What Are You Wearing Today?" Looks

When I first joined the forum, I only had a brief look through the WYAWT thread… I think there was around 180 or so pages back then and it’s increased quite a bit in a relatively short time. It continues to be my favourite thread on the forum… a great place to see new looks & ways of putting clothes together. It has also changed my opinion a number of times on a number of things and has – I think – helped me to develop a better sense of what I like and also what looks good. A real inspiration.

The other day, I decided to have a go at looking through every page – partly through curiosity and partly with the idea of bookmarking my favourite looks and starting this thread. It’s interesting to see how it has developed.. I discovered that it began as a “post a list of items you wore today” which (looking at it in hindsight) seems fairly pointless. It was kinda like saying, “for those of you listening to the match on the radio, Everton are the team playing in blue”.

After a while, people began posting pictures of the items they were wearing, mostly from website pics, some with the clothes laid out on a bed, but it was a while before actual “fit pics” became the norm.

There are a lot of great looks posted there – I bookmarked around 20 and I’ve narrowed it down to 5.. most of them have come from recent posts. Feel free to post your own favourites – as many or as little as you like.

Here's mine, in no particular order...

ICA has a lot of great looks, so it was hard to narrow it down to just one but this one is a standout one for me. I love the colours and textures.

Malti's been knocking out some very cool looks (and photos) of late and this one is my favourite. Dark, clean, strong. A bit like Malti himself.

It was a toss up between this one from Joshua and a fit from a Berlin trip. In the end, this one won because brown Chelsea boots trump white trainers all day long in my book. Love the jacket

Jade has been a breath of fresh air on the forum. This look, I absolutely love. It just fucking rocks.

I'm not one for the sartorial looks, but on occasion, I have to don a suit and this fit stuck in my mind from the first time I saw it as a really cool sartorial look. It's not easy to wear a suit with no socks or tie and still look elegant, which is why - despite trying not to post two looks from the one poster - I've included this one from the Great Bearded One.
    Last edited by DorianGrape; 14-04-2015 at 12:12 AM.

Trend Setter
    Great idea, think I'll have to give it ago, but the number of pages is pretty daunting now I've got an idea of one of yours at least.

*edit* Maybe I'll just go for the last 100 pages or so, since a lot of the users at the start aren't that active, and like you say, not many photos back there either.

*edit2* Also worth mentioning I like all the picks you've made, definitely highlight looks there.
    Last edited by paul-b; 14-04-2015 at 01:27 AM.

Don't remember that fit from Malti, very flame emoji

Very solid picks DG

It was a really pointless thread wasn't it. It was a bit like a school disco where the boys are on one side of the hall and the girls on the other. Now everyone's fucking.

This thread also really highlights the importance of good quality captures. The reason my WDYWT pics have slowed down a bit is that I can't deal with mirror pics anymore. Need to get a decent spot set up in my gaff.

Style Icon

Really good idea for a thread DG, and thanks for the mention!

Really goes to show how far this forum as come in terms of content and quality of fits. I'll take a look later on today and edit this post.

Trend Setter
    I'm glad I started that thread.....and then left it for a few years

The progression of that thread, and the way it's evolved into "fits" just shows how comfortable men have become recently in showing off their clothes. I think it's a massive step for men to start being interested in fashion/clothing, and it becoming acceptable to do so.....and also other men complimenting them.
    I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear.....

Haha getting nostalgic now. Recon I'll have a whip through the thread when I get some spare time. ICA's made me try a few new things/looks, Malti's makes me want a better photo set up and to keep dressing minimal and Jade makes me want to be more daring and spend more on high end standout pieces. DG you just make me want Ricks and to keep wearing layers of all black throughout summer.

Trend Setter
    Here are my picks. Too easy to get carried away, so I limited myself to five as with Dorian, but it's tough to leave out so many great looks.

Ivan Condor Aasllani - page 195
    I'm sure there was another ICA look I had in mind, but it must have been from a challenge as I failed to find it. No matter - with so many clean, practical outfits, I found plenty of others, including this one.

Mathew - page 240
    Slick.

JadeManalac - page 282
    I always find it difficult to add interest to my summer outfits with so few layers to play with, but there's no such problem with this look - a great blend of colours, patterns and accessories.

Joshua - page 307
    Joshua is often seen mastering black and white, but what I like here is the subtle injection of colour and pattern from the jacket, topped off with suitable winter accessories.

DorianGrape - page 327
    I really like the collection of textures here (you'll have visit the page to view the accompanying close-up, since I've run out of images for this post). Real class in topping off a monochrome outfit with brown shoes too.

Trend Setter
    Also, had to chortle at some of the moments along the way, such as DG asking ICA if he was wearing a bathrobe, LondonGer's "Messi" room, and lately, Malti's "the ICA" pose.

Style Icon
    Just went back in time a couple of pages, lots of good stuff in there, but here are my top 5:

ICA

Very consistent quality of fits, but this one was my favourite (not to mention that classic ICA pose ). I especially liked the unexpected use of Y-3s instead of the safer option of boots.

Joshua

To say that you haven't influenced my personal style a bit would be lying. Great execution of monochrome here (not just because of the B/W filter), and very clean.

DG

Went with this one instead of your pretty good fits that incorporated the Ricks (which I must say, makes me wanna try out the RO aesthetic at some point). Coat + Chelsea boots combo is a killer.

Matthew

Maybe I'm biased that I picked out this one as it's monochrome, but the perfect fit on the jeans really brings this to a whole other level. Again, my appreciation for nice coats is showing here too.

Style Icon
    For some reason kept saying that I had 6 pics instead of 5:

Jade

Your outfits are just so fashion forward and daring that it's unreal. Most of them are a little too adventurous for me, but damn, you make me wanna try out more exciting stuff and crazy prints. This one in particular just oozes cool (shirt is pretty sick too).

+ Reply to Thread