FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

I've Got An Interview At Burberry Coming Up. Help.

I've got an interview coming up next week with Burberry and I have no idea what to wear. Any suggestions? It's for a designer (not fashion) role.

FashionBeans Legend

Should've expected that...

Style Icon
    If in doubt, a well-fitting suit that is comfortable and doesn't stifle you is always a good shout. You could add a touch of panache, maybe with a collar bar, or a lapel pin etc, but nothing that will make you feel uncomfortable, or overly worried about your appearance.

At the end of the day, your first impression is important, but largely redundant if you lack the composure and the confidence to reinforce your image.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that. Yeah I was thinking suit too

FashionBeans Legend
    I read this last night which I thought was apt...

Matthew Hunt, the publicity director at Exposure US (who's worked everywhere from Gucci to Burberry to Ford Models), says it best:
    "You should definitely dress differently at a fashion interview than in the more corporate worlds of say finance or pharmaceuticals.

However, presenting yourself as polished and professional is ALWAYS key.

The team at Vogue is fashion-conscious, but they could just as easily walk into many different companies and look equally appropriate. Your look should always say, "I'm pulled together and organized--if you need to take me with you to a meeting with clients or top editors, I will fit in. I am ready to work at a higher level within your office, even if I am starting at an intern."

Your potential new boss should find it easy to imagine you in a more senior position.

That being said, in the fashion industry you can easily show up in a smart jacket paired with darker, more sophisticated denim and a great, clean pair of shoes and be ready to start immediately. Sharp shoes are key--they don't have to cost a fortune, but most people aren't impressed when shoes appear to be overly scuffed up and worn-in."

Personally, I wouldn't wear jeans to an interview, but I think the rest of the advice is sound. You can't go too wrong with a suit - it may be a design job, but you still want to look smart and professional.. if you want to look less corporate and more creative, you can always ditch the tie, or even the shirt altogether... might be a bit more risky but it's a good way of showing that you have a bit of individuality and it would also tie in with the image Burberry now have, especially under Chris Bailey.....

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. I read that to mean you can never be overdressed and always think ahead. Good luck.

Hey guys, cheers for that! Let's just see what tomorrow brings

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by seang View Post
    Hey guys, cheers for that! Let's just see what tomorrow brings
    Best of luck with the interview - keep us posted on how it went!

Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Best of luck with the interview - keep us posted on how it went!
    Thanks I will do!

+ Reply to Thread