FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Reccomendations for Men's Vintage T-shirts

Hey all, just joined up.

I have a number of t-shirts in a river-island style which are light, off-center cut and can be a little metrosexual/boyband if not worn with the right clothes or not worn right, I have a few A&F muscle t's, but what I really want are half a dozen or so fitted, high quality t-shirts which are a nice fabric but that don't feel weird (I have a merino wool tshirt which looks lovely but feels awkward), have some kind of design on them, suit a muscular/v-torso shape with large chest and shoulders, but sculpt to the waist and lower torso.

Basically something between the A&F muscle fit tops which are a heavy weave and a bit american urban teen design, and my river island ones which are more vintage, but too thin and baggy.

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Trend Setter
    It’s a shame nobody has responded to this post. I’d also be interested in suggestions for decent t-shirts. Maybe not specifically “vintage”.

I find most of my more fashionable plain t-shirts, v-neck, crew neck, nicer colours etc. are from River Island or Topman, and most of my basics are from H&M or Next.

The Next t-shirts often last well, but are a bit on the boring side. H&M seem ill fitting, and just seem to suit wearing under stuff, and the River Island and Topman t-shirts look great for the first couple of wears, but lose shape really quickly. (Today I’m wearing a River Island t-shirt and it looks like I tried to climb into it through the sleeves they’re so stretched!).

The problem is, anything half decent seems to be priced at around £25+ which I feel is a bit on the steep side for a plain t.

Does anybody know of a halfway house? I’m only really wanting to spend around £10-£15 on a t-shirt, but want it to keep its shape.

Editor-In-Chief
    From what I hear - although I can't actually personally recommend as I have never tried - American Apparel do some of the best fitting plain tees you can find in this price range.

I would like to hear others views though as basic tees are a staple and to find some at a decent price would obviously help no end.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Herbert View Post
    From what I hear - although I can't actually personally recommend as I have never tried - American Apparel do some of the best fitting plain tees you can find in this price range.

I would like to hear others views though as basic tees are a staple and to find some at a decent price would obviously help no end.
    I took a look in American Apparel today. They do have a nice selection of plain t's in crew, v-neck and deep v-neck, in a variety of colours. They seem pretty good quality too. Sizing wasn't too bad, although I found myself kind of half way between a small and a medium. At £16 they seem fairly pricey, but at 15% off for 3 it brings them down to around £14 each.

I'll have a think what colours I need, and might get some to try.

Trend Setter
    For my body type, slim to athletic, the gap classic fit t-shirt is my favourite basic. I'm not a fan of any of their other stuff, but their t-shirts are the only basic I wear now.

FashionBeans Staff
    I've found Reiss Tees to be really good quality and a decent fit, they have slightly longer sleeves though. What ever you do though DON'T iron them because they will stretch a lot; I found out the hard way with one of mine, its gone from a small to a medium and just floats around on me now. Probably further to the top end of peoples budgets though.

Trend Setter
    American Apparel's tees are nice but almost everything in the store is a bit overpriced.

+ Reply to Thread