FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Men's Winter Headwear?

Winter it's a sh*tter a massive howling unloveable sh*tter - it's dark for all but three hours of the day it's colder than a snowman's titties and the only things anyone ever talks about are the d*ckheads off the x factor and how they can't be arsed with Christmas this year.

But what id like to know is what kind of hats do you guys wear for this time of year?

I have recently seen a fedora im considering getting but am unsure this would be the right time of year to be sporting one?

Sam

Style Icon
    Ha, I like your style. But I actually prefer winter to the warmer seasons; crisper, more consistent weather. I really enjoy a bracing chill.
    Smart headwear knows no season; what you want to make sure is that you've eschewed spring/summer's straws and thin fabrics in favour of rougher stuff. Felt and all that jazz. A fedora would be fine; in the winter, it can lend your overcoats a really retro vibe - somewhere sitting between the two great wars, time period wise.

Winter headwear is a minefield though. I personally despise beanie hats. They never fail to look slouchy. And then people insist on wearing these ridiculous trapper hats instead! It isn't wise to go against your "this looks stupid" instinct in the name of fashion. Personally if I end up in a hat I think I'll opt, on casual days, for a Lennon type cap. Think the guy from the Stella Artois adverts, before he starts putting on other people's suits. A long face like mine suits that style down to the ground.

And as we are quickly learning on the forum, all anybody has to offer is their opinions, so here is one of those occasional disclaimers; these are just mine!

Trend Setter
    Oh lord, I LOVE winter. Dark evenings, layers.. definitely my favourite time of year.

As it happens I wear hats all year round, and at present I'm after a bobble hat. AllSaints have some nice fairisle type beenies, but I'm just loathed to spend £40 on a hat

Brown, get on the All Saints archive, they usually have some on there.

I've always been a big fan of flatcaps, and now is a great time for them as they fall into current trends very well.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    Oh lord, I LOVE winter. Dark evenings, layers.. definitely my favourite time of year.

As it happens I wear hats all year round, and at present I'm after a bobble hat. AllSaints have some nice fairisle type beenies, but I'm just loathed to spend £40 on a hat
    I have this one from SuperDry which is a bit cheaper...

I'm still undecided on it though as it's very thick, and tends not to hang well. It kind of sits up.

I have a flat cap too, but don't feel it's very wintery. I do have some beanies, but they don't come out that often if I'm honest. I do quite like the trapper style on some people, but it's certainly not for me.

+ Reply to Thread