FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

Waistcoat+Henley

Wearing a waistcoat outside a 3 piece suit is one of those things that you think you'll look good but you don't, quite like fedoras. So it's hard to pull it off. The other day though, I was this image

and made me think that the combination of waistcoat and a henley t-shirt looks great as an american heritage aesthetic. What do you guys think of this combination?

Some more ideas

ICA

Not this again

Style Icon
    What's with the fascination of trying to wear waistcoats casually? We get at least a thread a year about this

I think Jon Snow has a license to wear whatever he wants...

I like all of those looks. Not easy to pull off but I don't really understand all the waistcoat hate on here.

Maybe my eyes aren't as well trained as others.

ICA

It's just so cliched / pastiche / cringe

All those photos look okay (but not to my taste at all) as they are models and they are in Americana style settings. Try and rock that walking down the street and it will be a different story.

I can appreciate most styles and I like the diversity we see on here (less so atm tbh) but this is where the line is for me.

Trend Setter
    Like ICA, I think they look ok in context, but every time I've seen someone down the pub wearing a casual waistcoat, I've been thinking what knob! It just looks contrived, and honestly I don't think those waistcoats add anything to the outfits above.

Don't get me wrong, I love that Americana vibe and I practically live in henleys, but it starts to look like a costume if you incorporate every aspect. Remove the waistcoat and replace with a denim jacket or leather biker and you get the same vibe without looking like a Mumford and Son.

Des

Style Icon
    You obviously have a hard-on for musician styles and your list of threads suggest the type of people you want to emulate.
    Why not just give at least one of those ideas a try for yourself, post a pic with your guitar and then people here can tell you if it looks shit

Thanks for the explanations ICA and Onemanarmy.

I only really took an interest in fashion earlier this year so was genuinely curious as I'm still very much learning.

I never really see people wearing waistcoats in my area so I'm probably influenced by the fact that I only ever see them in lookbooks.

Trend Setter
    I totally get where you're coming from. I'm a huge music fan, and love anything Americana/retro, but I've learnt after many mistakes that rock stars, models and famous actors can pull looks off that just don't work for the average day to day situation. The key is to take elements from lookbooks etc, unless you have that don't give a fuck attitude, in which case you can get away with more adventurous looks - but if you're questioning other people's opinions on clothes, that probably aint you

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last