FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Style Icon

how do you budget for clothing?

We've had a thread where we discussed what one is willing to pay for what kind of items.
    My question is: how do you plan your expenses? The last couple of years I've adopted the same strategy as most here: save up/hold out until the sales and then go mental. Does everyone have this tactic of purchasing 90% of what they need/want during the 2 big sales a year? Do you make a list and set a spending limit? Or do you buy what ever you fancy until you feel you've reached the limit?

Hmmm I don't tend to wait for sales as I have a lack of patience and also fear that my size will sell out. If there's something I'm being indecisive about and then it goes on sale, I'll be likely to go and try it.

I don't really plan much in advance, I manage to save most months and have disposable income (still living at home!) so normally I'm ok.

Every purchase is planned though, so in most cases I'll find something I like online, and think about it for a while. If it's a pair of Diesel jeans I'll look for other pictures in different lights, fit pictures etc. Once I receive an item I try it on to make sure I'm 100% happy with it. If not, it gets sent back, so I'm never (or not usually) spending money unnecessarily. Have been a few items which I've liked and then gone off a few months later though, I can't deny that!

At the moment though I've got a few pieces that I want all at the same time, and they're all quite expensive. Flyknits, Diesel hoodie, Diesel jeans. I'm sort of just delaying purchasing them, don't really know why just can't bring myself to splash all that cash just yet. I think I'll purchase one of them this month and then the other one or two after I get paid.

I used to be the same as you Sam, mainly when I was first building my wardrobe. Recently though I have rethought my buying strategy and as of this season will mainly be ticking high ticket items of my dream wishlist and buying everyday bits from Zara as they're easy to use and offer free shipping and returns.

A little buying trick I use is sticking it all on the credit card and considering the money spent once I've been refunded for the items I return, which is typically 60% of everything I buy as I'm picky with fit etc. Always order early in the month and pay off the card in full before the end of the month so no charges.

Trend Setter
    Save and spend during the sales. I generally only buy when an item is discounted because very few items actually sell out anyway and I usually have the patience to wait it out plus I get a kick out of scoring bargains. That and being somewhat sensible even when buying extravagant things helps me justify those purchases

It also helps to curb impulse buying since I literally force myself to wait and things inevitably fall off my 'need to buy' list. I still let my myself make small high street purchases and basics to tick me over and I'll spend RRP on limited releases such as trainers.

As Joshua stated, a credit card is great when used properly with no drawbacks (ie. no interest) and gives great purchasing freedom.

Style Icon
    No plans, No credit cards, No debts, No impulse buys (well rarely) and I try to stick on the border of trends so they are re-wearable.

I literally gave over 2000 worth of clothes to charity over the weekend that I bought over the last few years trying to find my style and fit etc. Good deed because Im too lazy to eBay the sh*t and deal with people trying to get it even cheaper lol.
    I was showing my GF some of the stuff I was finding and just shook my head. I definitely did the whole buy in bulk and multiple colours thing and still didnt understand the basics (I probably still dont).

I have completely stripped the fat from my wardrobe and have no need for any 'basics'. So now I can pretty much buy what I want without need.

Its going to be sensible, useful purchases from here on out... who am I kidding, of course im gonna blow money lol

Style Icon
    cheers King. pretty much on the same page as you. do use the credit card a fair amount, but always pay on time.
    now that my wardrobe is nearly there in terms of necessities, I do feel that I can invest a little more in quality items like Joshua mentioned. it feels liberating when you have the basics covered.

Style Icon
    I think this year I've come a long way in terms of structuring and planning, but I still find myself impulse buying on occasion. The thrill of a bargain, especially on something you have looked at for a long time is the holy grail. Like that Gloverall duffle coat - wanted one for 2-3 years I reckon. The same day I had even resolved that "when the new ones come out on ASOS, I'll wait for a 20/30% code and cop one, even if it's over 200". Then I had a brain wave and looked on their own website, and low and behold their outlet section had total bargains in. Sometimes it's worth going to the source and not trust things like Shopstyle to find bargains for you.

I'm away from home right now but the other night to kill time I catalogued my wardrobe from memory. It's pretty big, I must say. It made me realise that I really don't need to add anything to it - apart from replacing a couple of defective items, and selling a few over-sized ones.

At the start of the year I began cataloguing everything I buy, the cost and so on. I had the notion that I'd spend around 100 per month for the year. Needless to say I've broken through that. To be fair a great chunk of it has been dealing with sizing down. At the end of the year I'm hoping to keep to better habits, and then just add up everything I've spent and try and bring down my spending based on that. My killer is that I've spent quite a lot in the last year on gear 'for the future' and not started using it. So when I get back, that's the first on my list to do - start enjoying items I've already picked up.
    My fashion blog, 24 Pinfold Street at wordpress.
    Instagram: samrjclemens

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    No plans, No credit cards, No debts, No impulse buys (well rarely) and I try to stick on the border of trends so they are re-wearable.

I literally gave over 2000 worth of clothes to charity over the weekend that I bought over the last few years trying to find my style and fit etc. Good deed because Im too lazy to eBay the sh*t and deal with people trying to get it even cheaper lol.
    I was showing my GF some of the stuff I was finding and just shook my head. I definitely did the whole buy in bulk and multiple colours thing and still didnt understand the basics (I probably still dont).

I have completely stripped the fat from my wardrobe and have no need for any 'basics'. So now I can pretty much buy what I want without need.

Its going to be sensible, useful purchases from here on out... who am I kidding, of course im gonna blow money lol
    how do you buy online if you don't use a credit card?

and -wow- that's a lot of clothes you donated!

Style Icon
    haha, I just asked my missus what she thought, she said maybe 1000 original price (being kind). But there were a couple of suits, alot of allsaints stuff etc in there tbf. So it was quite a bit still.

Oh and as much as credit cards are safer online, I dont own one. I stick to paypal where possible (which is normally an option these days) and if need be borrow the missus card depending on the retailer. Otherwise I sometimes use my debit... I have this thing about 'borrowing' money regardless if you pay it off.

FashionBeans Legend
    I never use credit either - I don't own a credit card, so I only buy stuff if I have the money. Most of my clothes are from the likes of Zara / All Saints with the occasional dip into high-end stuff.

I bookmark everything I like - one folder is reserved for stuff I don't need but if something pops up on sale, I might get it. Other than that, I steer clear of sales as they're a haven for impulse buying.

Also, I don't really buy much - my wardrobe is very small and everything gets worn, used and abused, then replaced when it's fucked.

+ Reply to Thread