FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Double Denim

What are your views on it guys? Is it something you'd rock or is it a fashion no go for you? Also, any advice would be appreciated.

Sam

Style Icon
    I read a great article on this somewhere - the name of the place eludes me though. I agree completely with its conclusions though, and it's easy to sum up;
    • Lighter denim on top, darker on bottom. The reverse is somehow unflattering, and two of the same shade is known in some quarters as the Canadian Suit, and is one of the worst looks conceivable.
    • Use rough, heavyweight denim. Stretch skinnies can be lovely, but they don't work fantastically in this context - beefier denim gives you a more rugged look and compliments the aesthetic. The exception is if you're going for the jeans/chambray shirt variety of the look, of course.
    • Roll it up. Double denim is the epitome of casual workwear cool, so a roll to the sleeves and/or a roll/turn to the jeans works very well - although it's not mandatory.
    • Rugged, casual footwear. Brown or tan leather works best by far. A brogue boot, work boot, chelsea boot (assuming a slim/skinny jean) or a regular brogue could work marvelously, among other things. This is one of the only times this ever really applies - unless you wear a lot of Allsaints (Pins ) - but in this case you needn't worry about polish, a beat up look will work great. Just don't get caught between beat up and well polished, because there's nothing good in the middle ground.
    • Simple lower layer. What you wear under your denim jacket should be timeless and simple. I saw a guy get this look right to the last detail and then ruin it with a bright pink graphic tee. Not pretty! A simple tee, henley, polo etc. in a neutral tone is the only real way to go. A casual oxford/twill/etc. shirt could work but that's as far as I'd go.

Fashionisto
    i dont rly think it looks good :|

Trend Setter
    I like to pair a blue denim shirt with black jeans, it's a safe way to wear double denim without ending up in a canadian tux.
    Something like this:

When wearing two shades of blue, go for the lighter one on top, as Sam said.

Sam

Style Icon
    ^I rather like that look.

Another variety is that occasionally suggested by our own Matt Allinson in his articles, which is blue jeans and a red chambray shirt. Chambray in another colour would work as well of course, but I think it works great.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyblue View Post
    I like to pair a blue denim shirt with black jeans, it's a safe way to wear double denim without ending up in a canadian tux.
    Something like this:

When wearing two shades of blue, go for the lighter one on top, as Sam said.
    yeah that does look good actually, i was only thinking about blue on blue denim...

Not a look I'd opt to try, but it can be done for sure. Proof is in the pics posted above.Seems like it gets harder to pull off the closer the colours are.

... gotta say though, when I think of double denim, I think of Marty McFly. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Style Icon
    The first ever remotely fashionable outfit I wore was double denim. It was my first date with this girl when I was 17 and up until then I never was into clothes much. Light blue denim shirt, and black skinny jeans. It worked quite well I thought. Obviously worked for her haha.

FashionBeans Staff
    Black and blue = good
    blue and blue = dangerous

Black and Blue = Safe
    Blue & Blue = Dangerous, but when done right... BOOM TING

I wear my denim shirts with grey & off white denim jeans a lot. Also rock them with cords, but that's not so daring tbh.

+ Reply to Thread