FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Trend Setter

New trainers advice.....

I'm heading off to the states in a few weeks for a West coast road trip, we'll be stopping off in a few different places, including San Francisco, Yosemite, Vegas etc. Obviously this will involve a lot of walking, and I need a new pair of trainers that are robust/ comfortable enough, but still look ok with a pair of black jeans. Any ideas? Oh, and I don't wanna spend a fortune 100 tops. Thanks.

Style Icon
    Sounds like a great trip.

Don't underestimate how much walking you will do - I went over 18km one day in vegas without even thinking about it. However, you are not going mountain climbing, so I think the sub 100 trainer world is your oyster, just wear them in a couple of weeks before you go.

I walk for miles in my jack Purcell's, but the first week i got them, i could hardly walk between tube stations before the rubbing on my achilies got too much. On the other hand, my saucony jazz were peachy straight out of the box.

Trend Setter
    Yeah it's gonna be an amazing trip, can't wait

I made the mistake of taking a brand new pair of Jack Purcell's to the states last year, after a couple of hours walking round New York I was in agony!

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to trainers, I've not really owned any other than converse since I was a kid, I'm just trying to figure out what will actually be functional and look decent.

Style Icon
    My collection is only the two listed above - but wanting some more 'technical' trainers, like some monochrome nikes etc. I'm sure you gonna get loads of suggestions...

Style Icon
    For sturdiness and comfort I'd go for a classic pair of New Balances. Look around for a pair where the N is in the same colour as the rest of the shoe: this makes them more subtle than the ones with the big white or contrasting N. (Unless a louder pair is your cup of tea).
    More "summery" trainers are rarely suited for long walks on rough terrain.

Sneakers - Footwear

Trend Setter
    I'll look into the New Balance, cheers.

Style Icon
    I don't know the ins and outs of all the different models. The relatively cheap ones do seem on the flimsy side. They'd only be about half your budget, though.

Trend Setter
    I have a pair of the relatively cheap ones and they haven't been flimsy at all for me. Super comfortable and they've lasted me for 2 summers (they've been my only summer footwear till a couple weeks back) and still are in good condition.

Style Icon
    I'm talking about this type. Haven't used them, but just saying' they don't look as sturdy as the more premium ones.

Wait till you get there and pick up a pair of saucony shadow or jazz - will be half the price and won't need to break them in. Picked a pair up for $30 earlier .
    Same goes for nike air max, will be much cheaper than the UK and comfy from the off.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last