FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

FashionBeans Staff

Buying A Larger Size For The Future

Hey guys,

I was just about to commit to buying an Acne jumper when I saw my size wasn't in stock. Every other size was there but my Medium size was out of stock. Urgh. However I was looking at the measurements and a Medium is 34.5" chest and a Large is 36". I'm pretty much in the middle of those two measurements at 35".

So I'd like to pose the question - because I'm only 18, my body, and especially my chest, should be becoming more prominant and defined. Does that mean that I can go for the Large size without too much risk in the item being ill fitting for long. With an item like this from such a brand as Acne, I'd want to be able to wear the piece for long into the future.

So guys, should someone who's body is still developing go for a size bigger to plan for the future? Has anyone else done this?

Style Icon
    I don't and I'm 18. I do worry about it though. My Allsaints shirts fit perfectly (I'm a skinny guy) and I'm worried that if I build muscle I will have wasted money. I don't think I'm going to get any taller/longer in the arms, but filling it out is a possibility.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan John View Post
    Hey guys,

I was just about to commit to buying an Acne jumper when I saw my size wasn't in stock. Every other size was there but my Medium size was out of stock. Urgh. However I was looking at the measurements and a Medium is 34.5" chest and a Large is 36". I'm pretty much in the middle of those two measurements at 35".
    Those measurements look odd. According to Acne's website a UK Small is 38" Medium is 40" Large is 42". You need to click on 'Men's Clothing' in the size guide.
    Last edited by Tone; 24-01-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Trend Setter
    Jesus, how are all you fellows in my age range so shallow chested? My chest went from 38 - 45/46 when I was around 15 or 16. Your chest may get a little bigger, but I doubt it, unless you hit the gym, and why would you?

I wouldn't do it; you will have an ill-fitting jumper in the long term, and by the time you (possibly) grow into it, it will likely be out of fashion. At 18, you will change your personal style a lot I expect.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    Jesus, how are all you fellows in my age range so shallow chested? My chest went from 38 - 45/46 when I was around 15 or 16. Your chest may get a little bigger, but I doubt it, unless you hit the gym, and why would you?
    As WS says, you wont naturally develop a more prominent chest unless you start lifting and putting down heavy items on a regular basis.

+ Reply to Thread