FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Plimsolls Not Cutting it in the Rain - Need Boot Suggestions For Pairing With Chinos

I managed to get caught short this morning. I ended up leaving the house in canvas plimsolls and it was raining quite heavily. To make things worse, when I got to the station I had to wade through 3” of water. I now have soaked through shoes and socks.

Now as far as footwear, I have some black military boots, brown military boots, beige worker boots and brown worker boots, but the rest are either smart shoes or plimsolls.

I really need some autumn/winter boots/shoes that can be worn with chinos mainly, as everything I have seems to go more with jeans, but less so with chinos. I’m also unsure about colour. Currently the only chinos I have are tobacco and purple, so ideally I want something that will go with these (more so the tobacco).

I’m thinking of going out at lunch and having a look around, but any suggestions of style? Brown brogue boots maybe?

Editor-In-Chief
    I don't think you can go wrong with Brogue boots. I would of recommended a tan pair as I think they look amazing with coloured chinos and especially navy - so work well with jeans as well. However, you need to be careful with your colour tones when mixing with browns otherwise they can blend in and clash a bit.

That would be my pick though; a nice tan brogue boot.

Have a look round and let us know what you went for!
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

FashionBeans Staff
    Can't go wrong with brogue boots in my opinion, stylish and versatile. If your looking for something a little different, vibram soles are really making a strong case at the moment.

I'd also suggest having a look at Ben's article on the Two Key Boot Styles for Autumn/Winter 2011 and Will's article on Alternatives To The Military Boot, both offer a great selection of footwear that are right on trend for the current season.

Alex

Trend Setter
    Thanks, and thanks for the title rename.

Does anybody have any opinions on Superdry footwear? There is a store right by my office. My (currently wet) plimsolls are superdry, and I can't say I was overly impressed with the quality of them. Their boots seem a lot more pricy though, so does the quality live up to the price tag? I can't say I've ever seen anybody wearing superdry boots.

Trend Setter
    So far I'm liking these two:

AllSaints Maintain Boot

Superdry Officer Brogue Boot - Men's Footwear

I know they are on the casual side of brogues, but I think that fits with my style a bit more. Any opinions on either? or alternatives?

Superdry is the antithesis of cool

Trend Setter
    Haha. Somehow I thought that was going to be the general response.

I've always been ambivalent towards Superdry. I kind of like a lot of what they do, but there has always been something deep down stopping me from buying anything.

FashionBeans Staff
    Yeah again I have to agree Brogue Boots would be my choice. I've found my brogues (not boots) are holding up really well in the rain, I got these from the charity shop. The older shoes always seem to be a lot more hard wearing.
    "Lifes too short to blend in..." - Owner of Brighterman Accessories

Check out my articles for Fashion Beans - In my spare time I try to live a lifestyle I normally can't afford

Trend Setter
    Those Superdry boots are ugly as fook, and the All Saints ones are over-priced considering you could get Grenson's from Grenson Derby Boot with 20% off which would make them around the £140 mark. I personally just bought the Grenson Brogue shoes and the quality is amazing. Don't forget All Saints generally have a crazy xmas sale in December which isn't far off.

FashionBeans Staff
    I actually thought the Superdry boots were quite nice, a kind of hiking brogue boot mix, suede so you're mixing in some texture and a good colour.

I would also suggest sticking to brogue boots should you be wanting something a little more formal.

H By Hudson | H By Hudson Angus Brogue Boots at ASOS try these from H by Hudson, I can attest to their quality and looks as I've had mine for about a year and a half and they're still good and I haven't had any problems.

+ Reply to Thread