FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Yeah there are definitely certain items that warrant spending more. Jackets, coats, footwear, suits and knitwear can usually justify exorbitant costs.

Jeans, t-shirts, shirts etc don't really improve after a certain price point imo.

I too buy most of my stuff in the sales, but do tend to spend quite a lot. I'm trying to buy better quality, but less.

Trend Setter
    I bought this coat for somewhere in the 400-500 range which is probably my most expensive. I have lots of items that cost 200-300 but nothing too crazy. Looking to break the record soon though with a warm winter coat.

Fashionisto
    I bought a grey marl Ben Sherman over coat almost 5 years ago which I still occasionally wear, I think it was 280. Should be bettering that in the next week or 2 when I pick up my Brading leather jacket from ALLsaints which is 298 I think?? I think that's probably as much as I'd ever be willing to spend on an individual item.
    When I was in my late teens/early twenties and had much more disposable income, just about everything in my wardrobe was either Ted Baker, Lacoste, or Rockport. I wouldn't think twice about spending 100 on a shirt or 200 on a pair of boots. Even though I didn't have any extremely expensive individual items, I did have a fairly expensive wardrobe collectively. Absolutely no style mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by BaconLad View Post
    Brading leather jacket from ALLsaints which is 298
    Dude there is 20% off online with the promo code WINTER, ends tomo I think?

Fashionisto
    ^ I know but it excludes leather :'(
    I might get some cigarette jeans instead and wait an extra week for the jacket??

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoGogo View Post
    I have a tendency to favour more expensive clothing over cheaper clothing, as mentioned the quality is mostly better...and it's that thing of not wanting to walk out and see everybody else wearing the same thing as you, Hollister junkies. My argument (because I get endless amounts of stick for it) is that I don't have much more money than anyone else, I just spend it differently.

Most expensive items are my Burberry Pea Coat, at 695

And this Boglioli Blazer, at 665

I feel ya, same with me. I tend to invest in some expensive stuff during the year, though I always try to take advantage of sales and coupon codes. No need to invest in a piece if I know I can get it for 20% or 30% off at least.

My most expensive item also is a double breasted, hooded, grey herringbone coat by D&G that was around 470 pounds I think, though I generally have a few more expensive pieces as in cashmere pullovers and stuff that are in the 120 - 180 pound price range, too.

Trend Setter
    Ok, there are two ways of looking at this: 1) the most amount of money you've ever paid for an item, or 2) the item you own which carried the highest original price tag (but you didn't pay that and perhaps bought it on sale).

The most amount of money Ive ever spent on one item was 450 on a 3/4 length leather coat from Reiss about 12 years ago. It was a big deal for me then. Would probably command 650 now. I sold it on eBay earlier this year for 50. It was a Large and I wear a Medium these days.

The most expensive item I own is a cashmere suit that was originally 700 but I got for half that in the sale so only paid 350.

Trend Setter
    I'm currently crashing with my OH in London, just around the corner from this shop. They have some pretty amazing stuff up for auction if anyone cares for a lunchtime browse of their website. A few old pearly kings jackets in the window caught my eye the other day.

Some of the more interesting things in their current auction (unfortunately mostly ladieswear this time round):
    - Lot 41 - A set of King George the 3rds Mahogany and Ivory Wig Bellows
    - Lot 190 - An old rhinestone and pearl encrusted dress of Princess Diana's (50-80k estimate)

Fashionisto
    Have definitely taken a new approach to shopping/buying clothes since coming across FB a couple of years ago.

I spend more than the average person on clothes but I'm not too outlandish. I'd be willing to spend 100+ on a good quality jacket, pair of boots, jeans, knitwear or shirt. Tailoring is a completely different issue, most expensive piece I've ever bought was a Ted Baker suit earlier this year, cost me the best part of 600.

HIT

If footwear is included, then my most expensive would be these Grensons, which i got on sale for 170.

Excluding footwear, would be this Barbour Jacket. Got it for like 160 if i remember correctly, RRP was over 300.

I doubt i'd ever go over 200, although there is a certain Allsaints coat that is tempting me at the moment, which i know if it even makes it to the sales will likely still be well over that.

+ Reply to Thread