FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Somebody Stop Me!!!

This is getting bad now!

I generally try not to buy much clothing all year round and then tend to "let go" a little during sale times. I'm finding I'm starting to go out every lunchtime, and every lunchtime I have to really stop myself from buying anything. I've already spent more than I wanted to since Christmas and yet I saw some things today I'm tempted to go back after work to try on.

My wife will KILL me if I buy anymore!!!!!

I just keep thinking that after the sales I won't want to shop anymore, but even that is a lie as I have my eye on a couple of things that aren't in the sale, and a couple of things I'm waiting for in the new season stock.

My wife jokes that I have a problem. I know I have a very addictive personality and I'm pretty sure I get that from my parents (my mum is a serious shopaholic and compulsive hoarder). I actually recently left work in Brighton, got home and jumped in the car and drove to Lakeside just to buy a jumper that I was told they had in my size. Surely that’s not healthy?

It’s a bit of a long shot, but do any of you have the same problem (if not on a lesser scale)?

Trend Setter
    Yes, I sometimes have this problem too, even if it is on a smaller scale. I think many people do, as it is easy to do something, in this case spending, when you are constantly prompted to do so. However, I find I only do it when my creative energy isn't being used, the more creative activities I involve myself with, the less I feel a need to spend. I am wary to prescribe that advice to you, though. I don't think you, or anyone, should hesitate from going to visit a psychologist on the matter.

Trend Setter
    I definitely spend a lot on clothing, but I know how much I have to spare each month, and will generally only buy two or three items of clothing each month. I have at times in the past spent more money than I really ought to have, and left myself short for the rest of the month, though I think I'm past that stage. I definitely think I'm a shopaholic though, if I go a month without having bought something I start to feel restless!

Fashionisto
    I'm a frugal motherfucker, Harlem's what i'm reppin'.

Fashionisto
    Oh yes I too am a confessed shopoholic

It all started out so innocently with the occasional pocket scarf but it so bloody moreish I'm on at least 2 sweaters a day. I just can't get enough of that fine merino

Joking aside I have actually asked the same question of myself and the issue is that you will never have the elusive perfect collection there's always something else that just has to be bought.

I would recon that in seriousness it is an addiction that works the same as any other. You get a bit of a rush from buying something and every time you buy again your just trying to recreate that feeling.

And looking beyond that I wonder if we fill our life with things to replace some void within us.

I have to check myself sometimes and ask whether having that expensive pair of shoes will really make me feel better. There's alot to be said for the Buddhist belief that your possessions end up owning you and life is easier without the clutter.

same here :)

funny.. but that's my problem too.. at least we are not alone in this world having problems like that, isn't it? haha.. Have you watch confession of Shoppaholic, I think the story has same case with you... i mean with us... )

Remember that too much is bad, try to control your self by having a self discipline...

Trend Setter
    If you can afford it, why stop? I'm not married and I have no kids, so I just enjoy every penny I earn.

I have the same problem, you are not alone.

You always say "that's it after this", then there's always something else you "need"

FashionBeans Staff
    I've become much better with my money, I've narrowed down my needs to some basic items and that is what I will buy when I see the right one.

If it helps, every time you make necessary purchases or spend more than you want to or should have done, just think; each time I spend my money, I've killed a baby seal.

Trend Setter
    I'm going to start eBaying some of my clothes I don't wear anymore. If I keep to only buying new things with money I got from old, it might be easier to justify.

We could do with a FashionBeans swap-shop.

+ Reply to Thread