FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 Last

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I don't mean to rude, but you're talking a load of rubbish.

I have no idea what 'gottiness' is, but seriously, how do brightly patterned socks that virtually nobody else is likely to be wearing not add individuality? Is wearing plain and dull navy, grey or black socks expressing individuality then?

And lazy? What a load of tosh. So, I'm being lazy when I'm carefully putting together my work outfit (and read my earlier posts in this thread to read the kind of detail I go into when doing this - it's far from lazy whatever you think of it) and choosing a pair of socks that add something different and stand out from the crowd. It's lazier to stick on a pair of black socks every single day and not think about anything.

So the man posting the photo of himself in a bow tie is essentially calling those of us who wear brightly coloured socks wannabe try hards. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Perhaps with your holier than thou guide to sartorial elegance, you could inform us lesser mortals as to what sockwear we should be sporting this season so that will don't make the oh so stupid mistake of wearing something that is more like having a stain our clothes than showing any fashion sense?
    Definitely with you on this Jay.

Infact last friday night on the tube on the way to a bar a lady complimented me on my socks! They were a purple shade and went well with my suit/shirt combo.

Sam

Style Icon
    A little full on Jay I have to say perhaps we should try to cultivate a more friendly atmosphere? I'd love to see the forum grow on the strength of its reputation for being friendly and welcoming
    But I agree with the general thrust that colourful socks can be a nice move if you do it right. Other times it looks dreadful, I have a friend whose tendencies towards neon pink socks disagree terribly with his fairly natural looking sand chinos, but he seems to think it looks fabulous. Under more modern clothes with cleaner colours I think they can look great - as long as they're nice. In fact I do own a couple of particularly bright red pairs that look quite nice with a muted purple chino.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    A little full on Jay I have to say perhaps we should try to cultivate a more friendly atmosphere? I'd love to see the forum grow on the strength of its reputation for being friendly and welcoming
    I'm all for cultivating a friendly atmosphere (and most of my posts have been very helpful), but he made a dickish post, likening wearing a nice pairs of socks to have a stain on your clothes. If you come onto a forum with a friendly attitude (as most have done) you get welcomed with a friendly atmosphere. If you come on making idiotic posts you get treated as such.

I'm still waiting for the elegant man about town should be wearing in the sockwear department as I'm clearly far too lazy to get it right on my own.

Trend Setter
    I have already apologized. I didn't mean to be such a jerk.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    I have already apologized. I didn't mean to be such a jerk.
    That's OK. I don't hold grudges and everyone is entitled to their opinion (and mine are splattered all over this forum).

No harm done.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    That's OK. I don't hold grudges and everyone is entitled to their opinion (and mine are splattered all over this forum).

No harm done.
    Good, I am glad.

FashionBeans Staff
    I'm afraid, that for all my Fashionbeans writer status I still wear hideous navy Marks & Spencer Sports socks everyday; the kind that school boys wear. Thankfully my outfits haven't actually required it yet as I am usually to be found in boots, unless it's summer when I will be sockless in my loafers or fully casual in my high tops or trainers. However, with investment in some tassled penny loafers and tailored herringbone trousers looming on the horizon I fear my sock selection may well be in for a radical makeover.

I can certainly understand the impact a pair of colourful socks will have on an outfit, especially if the trousers are cut properly and the ankle is brought forth when seated.

Everyone seems to mix colour socks with suits; I don't even own a suit. I think I've just fallen down a sartorial notch or four.

Sam

Style Icon
    But I understand, Will, that you have amassed a grand total of £0 so far to right that wrong with?
    I like subtle socks. Argyles and that, I even have a couple of pairs in a dogtooth pattern, they're quite cool.

FashionBeans Staff
    It's been at £0 for quite a while now, I think I might have to settle with something from Reiss perhaps. Sadly my money has to be spent on those silly things that keep me alive and well; like food and bills. . . . .and cider.

I did try to go without cider for a while but it just wasn't happening.

On a happier note however I would agree with you on the argyle front, I think when I do eventually have to invest, that those will be a staple for me.

Sam

Style Icon
    I think cider vs tailoring is probably a one sided decision for a young man
    Reiss is pretty good isn't it? I think I know a gent who had a Reiss suit tailored to fit and it looks the business.
    Edit: And by the way I just read the finished article, it's great so good job chaps!

+ Reply to Thread