FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

The Cravat

Hello Fashion Beans, I look at this site all the time but I've only just become a member woo! I was wondering if anyone can advise me on CRAVATS. I'm a bit partial to this 'gentlemanly' accessory and I've seen a few people wearing them, are they in fashion and if so where can I buy them and whats the best way to wear them.

Trend Setter
    What style of cravat are you thinking of adopting? Could you provide a picture?

FashionBeans Staff
    I wouldn't say cravats are the height of current fashion but are quite a timeless, 'dandy-esque', and as you say gentlemanly accessory.

I'm actually a big fan of day cravats and own a few which I occasionally incorporate into my day-to-day looks. I tend to wear them tied with a simple ascot loop and usually paired with my shearling leather aviator, a blazer or a lapelled waistcoat.

Ed Westwick's gossip girl character Chuck Bass (below left) is the best person to turn to for inspiration as to wear a cravat, especially in the first two seasons.

Chuck Bass WW 1.jpg

As to where you can buy them I know Topman had a few in before Christmas, although they no longer sell them online - might be worth checking in store. Failing that TM Lewin or a good suit shop should sell them. Alternatively you could check your local tailor I know mine always has a few in stock.

Fashionisto

FashionBeans Staff
    I've actually written an article on this. Take a look here: Men

The article gives a lookbook, how to wear and product picks, making it your first port of call.
    Follow me on Twitter for the latest Fashion, Style and Music news and musings: https://twitter.com/#!/ERJ_John

Read my Fashionbeans articles here: http://www.fashionbeans.com/author/evan-john/

I like them in a smart look, under a shirt and a blazer, but it's too feminine in casual outfits for me.

Fashionisto
    To be perfectly honest I barely knew what a cravat was before this topic, but by I was watching "X-Men First Class" yesterday and saw Kevin Bacon sporting cravats as somewhat of a signature piece throughout the film. Looked brilliant in my opinion.From looking at pictures in lookbooks around the web I definitely agree with PinMoney so far about the smart vs casual.

+ Reply to Thread