FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Evening Wedding Reception - What Goes With My New Brogues?

Going for a fairly smart casual look - just got some new brown Ted Baker brogues, looking at wearing some dark grey slim fitting trousers but now I'm stuck on which shirt to go for..................can i get away with a very small red check shirt? Ideas on shirts please

Dark short hair, 5'9", broad shoulders

thanks

Jay

Style Icon
    It's a wedding reception so stick on a suit! Any colour but black with those shoes and leave the tie at home (that shirt sounds like it would look great under either a mid grey or navy suit (or even a brown suit if you own one).

thanks for the reply Jay although one slight problem, I don't own a suit, lost a bit of weight over the last year which has resulted in me binning pretty much all of my wardrobe.........on the plus side, everything I'm buying now fits well and is bought with purpose

There are some great sale suits on ASOS at the moment. I've had a couple from there and they fit well. You're only looking at about £75 - £100 and you'll have a funky, slim fitting suit to see you through the festive season.

FashionBeans Staff
    I think you could definitely get away with those brogues, grey trousers and a shirt, by small red check do you mean gingham? if so that would be fine, or maybe even a light blue shirt (you actually have quite a lot of choice with grey trousers); simple, clean and smart enough to show you've made an effort a gingham shirt would actually add a bit of quirkiness and individuality to your outfit, you also have a valid excuse for not wearing a full suit either way. It's the reception so dress code isn't quite as strict, I would imagine everyone will be on the Razzle so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Would you also be able to go belt-less? if you can I would do so, the sign of a great fitting pair of trousers is to be able to wear them without a belt.

Pin - I'm pretty reluctant about suits in general, mainly because of wearing a jacket with my frame - my wife thinks I look ok in them but I'm just not convinced - thanks for the heads up tho; I am going to have to buy a suit soon for another wedding but not looking forward to it.

William - Gingham is what I was thinking but I've ended up going for a purple/brown/white vertical striped slim fitting shirt - I know it may sound awful but actulally looks good on and works well with the shoes IMO. As for the trousers then quite happy about these, nice slim fitting and no belt required!! I seem to be saying slim fit a lot, I'm not slim (still, I do feel it comparted to how I used to) but whereas when I was bigger I'd go for baggy clothes wich looked terrible, fit now comes before pretty much anything else.

I'd post a pucture up but, not that brave

Thanks for the replies guys

Trend Setter
    Woah, you aren't going to go in black tie? You should bring out your tuxedo and thus your oxfords, not brogues. If you need help assembling a black tie outfit at varying price ranges, try: The Black Tie Guide: Tuxedo Style & Etiquette

+ Reply to Thread