FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Grey on Grey on Grey - What Colours To Add To Grey Dominated Looks?

Basically I have a thing for dull colours and when I end up buying bits time to time they're often dull and I don't think twice about it but then it all comes together and for example I end up with
    - dark grey/blue chinos - black belt
    - dark blue dessert boots/black black smart shoes
    - white patterned shirt
    - grey or green striped sock tie
    - dark olive jacket and brown/grey rucksack

I don't mind wearing lots of grey but I do when it's all on top of each other. What I've thought of is just some simple plain shirts possibly in green and white and but was wondering if anyone had any tips they could give. I could change it around with a different belt but wouldn't know what would look good as I like to stick with thin and black; also may just get a new rucksack in a brighter colour as 2 of my jackets are dull and on the lightish grey bag they barely separate.
    Thanks!

Out of your list, I really like the olive jacket and rucksack combo. I'd recommend brown to liven up your look. Start off with a pair of dark brown boots and you can also try light brown trousers. Brown might seem too dull but your current wardrobe would really accentuate it.

Restrict pops of bright colours to trim on accessories and outerwear and instead focus on lighter shades of the colours already in your wardrobe. Monochromatic patterns such as polka dots will also be great.

Give this a try:
    Olive jacket, brown rucksack, navy button-down shirt, dark grey/charcoal trousers and dark brown boots.

I'd get a couple of colourful v-neck jumpers to team with it all, that should inject a bit of colour and would be appropriate to the season too. I'm thinking something orange or burgundy might fit well.

A brighter rucksack would definitely add some much needed panache. Other accessories would be good too. How about a co-ordinated scarf / gloves / hat combo?

Jay

Style Icon
    i think grey is the most versatile colour of all. You can wear it with pretty much anything, except too much brown especially if both colours are muted. It just ends up looking a little bit muddy and dreary.

I also don't have a problem with grey on grey. As long as you mix up the shades and textures it can look incredibly stylish.

you can make grey look really fresh by throwing in a simple splash of colour from something as small as a coloured pair of brogues, a pair of socks, or a bright t-shirt or shirt under a grey blazer or jumper. Or you can be bolder and throw in a bright coloured pair of chinos. Literally any colour works. The colour works to freshen up the grey and the grey anchors the colour, so you really can get away with hugely bold colour choices.

Or you can throw in muted shades, which it sounds like you are already doing with the olive jacket and so on. This can work really well to create an autumnal or heritage style look, especially if you throw in some texture: tweed, chunky cable knits and so on.

Trend Setter
    Last edited by rubyblue; 08-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Sam

Style Icon
    Grey is definitely the most versatile colour - or rather, shade - that you can wear. All the advice here so far has been great because bad advice is hard to give. It would be easier to list what you should avoid:
    • Don't wear the same shades and textures throughout your look. Very boring, not flattering.
    • The anchor that grey provides isn't a license to go off clashing other colours; you can pair more than one colour with grey, of course, but make sure they're complimentary or in a nice contrast.
    • Don't make the mistake of thinking all grey is the same; some greys have strong bluish hues so factor this in to your colour choices.
    • No grey shoes. Tremendous personal style is required to make these work.
    I mean these are just the guidelines I follow and they seem to work for me. As a matter of fact today I was in a dark grey cotton/linen blend unstructured blazer and a mid grey marl shawl neck, with mild purple trousers and a pale yellow shirt collar visible. Greys contrasted in tone and texture, anchoring two nicely contrasting colours. I happen to think it worked nicely, one of these days I'll post a photo.

Jay

Style Icon
    Good advice on the subtle variation in hues of greys, Sam. Some definitely have a blueish or even greenish tinge to them, which can help to add variation to an outfit.

I have grey Hudson wingtip brogues! I often wear them with my grey suit though albeit very very dark grey which possibly might look black at a distance.

I too have some grey brogues. Used to wear them a lot with light blue skinny jeans, yellow tee and a black barbour. Maybe time to dig them out again. I try to keep them nice for formal occasions now though.

Thanks for all the posts, very helpful - gonna post some pics of a general day and a 'worst case scenario' one haha, one of the things I'll definitely be doing is getting a new rucksack, having it such a similar colour to my jackets makes the mass of grey harder to hide.

+ Reply to Thread