FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Holiday Clothes

February - not really close to the holiday time period, but around the time bookings get made for holidays. I'm luckily hoping to attend 3 holidays this year (2 party ones, 1 relaxed) and have began to wonder - what will i wear?

Now, call me eager, but i thought this would be a good place to start.

So, what do you guys wear on holiday? (both out of interest and for inspiration for myself)
    Any ideas of what i can wear when its hot, while still maintaining a smart-casual look (tailored shorts as a start maybe?)? Or is it simply not possible?

Cheers gang!

Style Icon
    Hot weather I'd go for

Chino shorts (maybe burgundy or navy rather than your traditional brown)
    Plain t-shirt/breton striped tee/maybe a scoop neck for a relaxed feel
    loafers with no socks
    maybe a lightweight blazer
    a straw hat!

Not the smartest thing in the world, but would look nice and sets you apart a bit from the crowd.

Sam

Style Icon
    A bit of Riviera style perhaps? White trousers/chinos, a bit of linen here or there, nautical stripes, the odd brass buttoned jacket. White trousers are a great piece on sunny days - although no matter how sunny it is there always seems to be something inappropriate about wearing them in England.
    Tailored shorts are a cool choice - mustn't be too far above or below the knee, but it's not too hard to find the perfect fit; I mean, the best shorts I've owned so far have been a seersucker pair from River Island, which topped the navy pair I got from Allsaints in terms of fit.
    If I'm honest, my holiday style is piss poor. A lot of old Topman Y-neck tees and an ill-fitting green Harrington defined my last vacation, which was pretty bad style-wise. I'm certainly planning to do better this year!
    This is my ideal sort of holiday in the sun look:

It's truly ridiculous how expensive I managed to make that look! But you get the picture, I really just want to be Italian. Pale colours, relaxed silhouettes (spelt that right third time - personal best!), casual smart stuff.
    I'm not sure whether wearing a polo and blazer in the same colour is a faux pas but it looks awesome in my mind.

I am actually going to Florida at the end of the month, so have been forced to consider this early in the year.

Most important bit of holiday gear is a good pair of sunnies, obviously.

Beyond that, for a casual daytime flex it will be:

Vest / plain t-shirt
    Chino shorts / grey denim shorts
    Boat shoes / leather sandals

And in the evening something like:

Shirt
    Chinos
    Loafers

or

Cardigan / Blazer
    Scoop neck tee
    Light grey jeans
    Loafers

Trend Setter
    I'm starting to think about summer wardrobe and holiday wear, partly to have something to look forward to in the midst of freezing temperatures and a massive workload! I'm thinking of investing in a few key items, such as a linen shirt of two, a decent pair of J Crew shorts and a nice hat, also some loafers and/or boat shoes. I haven't thought about where the money is coming from for all this though!

Trend Setter
    I really hope boat shoes die a death this season. That being said, I bet loads of men will still be wearing them.

Trend Setter
    I know what you mean about boat shoes Olly. But they seem a practical option for the beach, camping and suchlike. I'm a bit bored of wearing canvas type shoes for stuff like that, and I'm not going to wear nice loafers on the beach or camping where they would get ruined. Am open to other suggestions though.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    I really hope boat shoes die a death this season. That being said, I bet loads of men will still be wearing them.
    I agree. Such a cliched look. What's really annoyed me is people wearing them in winter, with socks. Usually they're also wearing a rugby top and have swishy hair. ARGH.

I will be continuing to wear me Sperrys tbh. But I haven't worn them since it was warm, and will not be wearing them with socks.

Fashionisto
    I'm a staunch defender of the boat shoe. I spent a fair amount on a pair of chathams about two summers ago and now they're worn in they look great.

haters gonna hate

+ Reply to Thread