FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last
    Sam

Style Icon
    I'd have to disagree on white denim! I think it's a great summer look, though perhaps better suited to anybody that could passably imitate a rock star or an Italian. Others should avoid it. I fancy myself as having a stab at the former if I'm honest
    And we discussed grey and silver shoes in another thread right? I've just realised that white denim is the perfect vehicle for them, I might actually try that out! I do have dreadful fantasies of stardom.
    On topic: I think black and brown is dangerous. Best sticking to black and black but if your black jeans are faded you have more leeway. In general best to steer clear altogether, it's probably not worth the risk.

Jay

Style Icon
    I'm not sure about white denim as rock-star chic at all. I can see the Italian thing, tailored with a chambray shirt, tie and wayfarers, but only in Summer andonly when the sun is out.

Wearing them in autumn on a dreary day in Milton Keynes you're more likely to look a bit of a berk than display any kind of Mediterranean charm.

FashionBeans Staff
    I would say that when worn correctly and it does take a little skill, brown shoes (although perhaps a little sartorially incorrect) and black jeans can work. Personally I feel Black shoes worn with any other colour of trousers apart from black are more of a social no no, particularly black shoes with grey trousers of any kind or blue jeans.

Sorry to have prodded the brown shoes, black jeans debate again.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    Personally I feel Black shoes worn with any other colour of trousers apart from black are more of a social no no, particularly black shoes with grey trousers of any kind or blue jeans.
    I disagree. It depends on what else you are wearing. If you are sporting grey trousers and anything but black on the top half, then black shoes are a no-no, I agree.

If, however, you are wearing black on the top half with grey trousers, then black shoes balances the outfit out (and brown shoes would look silly).

I agree that blue denim and black footwear always looks silly.

OK I'm done with the black/brown debate now (unless someone else brings it up again, in which case I probably won't be able to help myself), so sorry for derailing the thread.

Trend Setter
    Wearing black and brown doesn't necessarily look bad, a mustard brown and black can really work. However, do you want to look like a rube? It is better to avoid them just because old prescriptions die hard and people may judge you for it.

Style Icon
    I hate to bring it up again folks, but anyone had a look at the most recent article on "simple ways to add elegance". A few great of examples of how to rock brown with black .

I wear brown boots with skinny faded black jeans all the time. It's not a sartotial mainstay, but not all of us want to colour within the lines when it comes to fashion!

I also have some nearly-white jeans; they look tremendous with anything dark and heritage on the top half. Barbours in Navy, Wax Hunting coats in forest green, burgundy knitwear all look great, and finished off with black or brown leather footwear you have a truly on trend and timeless look.

Jay

Style Icon
    I think we need to have a Godwin's Law type rule and a thread gets locked when someone brings up the black trouser/brown shoe debate.*

*but it does look rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I think we need to have a Godwin's Law type rule and a thread gets locked when someone brings up the black trouser/brown shoe debate.

*but it does look rubbish!
    It depends on if your look is smart/smart casual or fully casual imo.

Trend Setter
    Did you know that most people here, in America, have no idea that there is any rule against brown and black? People mix it all the time, often with suits and I have to bite my tongue when they ask me what I think of their outfit.

+ Reply to Thread