FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Help With a Winter Jacket

Hi all, long time reader of fashionbeans but first time on the forums. Hope this is posted in the right place!

Being a student at university has made me less able to afford loads of new clothes recently but I'm in dire need of a new winter coat. I currently own two coats right now, one being a black trench coat I got from Uniqlo last year: (MEN Double Breasted Trench Coat *-*UNIQLO*UK*Online*fashion*store) and the other being a navy wool double breasted Topman peacoat I got about three years ago. Both are quite similar in style (I always feel overly formal in them both, which is great sometimes, but not so much when I'm just chucking on something to wear for lectures) and neither provide any protection from the rain as they have no hood.

So, to cut a long story short I'm looking for a winter jacket to brave me through the upcoming months. I was thinking about a parka (similar to this: Buy Four Pocket Hooded Parka from the Next UK online shop) but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions? As my other coats are both quite long I'd prefer something that was waist length too, and preferable not black or navy. Again, being a student means price is pretty pivotal so my budget is probably around £80-£100.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sam

Style Icon
    Everything you said made me think Barbour Barbour Barbour Barbour until you mentioned the price! But you still may want to consider a waxed jacket in that style - in a nice country green it ticks every box for you.
    A parka's a pretty safe choice so if you go down that route you should be alright.
    Lastly, have you considered a leather jacket? Check out vintage stores like Beyond Retro, Rokit and That Indie Look (all have online stores) for cool leather jackets at exactly your price range.

Jay

Style Icon
    How about a duffle? Not a million miles away from the parka you are considering and just that touch smarter.

ASOS | ASOS Bonded Wool Duffle Coat at ASOS

It comes in grey too.

FashionBeans Staff
    I would go with Jay's suggestion and invest in an umbrella to deal with the rain.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for all of your help guys! Wasn't expecting such speedy replies.

@Sam, I've actually got a French Connection leather jacket that was given to me a few years ago, it's pretty retro looking and I love it, just not all that great for the winter. And as for Barbour, yeah that'd probably stretch beyond my means unless they have a pretty crazy sale. Currently I'm just browsing around for an olive coloured parka, I'll definitely check out those vintage stores you suggested, thanks!

@Jay & William, I was considering a duffle until I remembered how much fluff is collected in my Topman wool pea coat! Although at the moment thats still an option, I love the colour of the one you've posted, thank you both.

Any other suggestions?

Fashionisto
    I would agree with Jay on this. I have both a long and short duffle in grey and beige respectively. They are very versatile and can work in both casual and smart occasions.

+ Reply to Thread