FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Badly Dressed/Overrated Celebrities

I think we're all a fairly tolerant bunch on the forums (...) however, after watching football focus this morning, it got me thinking about men in the public eye who, for me, just don't cut it style wise despite being lauded (in some circles at least) for their sartorial prowess.

A couple spring to mind.
    Rio Ferdinand.
    As a lifelong reader of GQ, i lost a little bit of respect fr Dylan Jones when Rio was named best dressed a while back.

All of JLS
    NO.

Who's on your list?

FashionBeans Staff
    I've becoming more of a fan of Esquire in recent months, they have a lot more content aimed specifically at fashion in my humble opinion.

A list of badly dressed celebrities would go on far too long and the fact that One Direction headed the 2012 best dressed list for a short while would seem to be a damning representation of what British men seem to think is stylish.

Trend Setter
    Mostly everyone on GQ's Best Dressed list..

Trend Setter
    I agree to a certain extent with the GQ comment. I think over the past 12 months, some of the content has been aimed at making the magazine 'more current'. Tinie Tempah does have absolutely horrendous choice in clothes. I admire his audacity in some respects although I think I'd rather wear a couple of bin bags than anything from his wardrobe.

Sam

Style Icon
    Tom Ford for me.
    Controversial choice, I know - but I wouldn't really call JLS or One Direction "overrated". Ford's style comes with genuine industry acclaim, and I don't really get it.

There is something unspeakably vulgar about that image. Everything is done to excess; a three-piece suit, very strongly structured jacket, massive lapels and, most criminally, far too many shirt buttons undone.
    So, while I'm not against the guy - he worked wonders with Gucci, and his own brand isn't too bad, and of course he's a world apart from Joey Essex - I think he's a little bit of a Twonk. To use the GQ vernacular. Also slightly anachronistic, belongs somewhere between the 70s and 80s I think.
    Discuss.

Trend Setter
    Interesting, Sam. Contentious but that's what makes a good debate.
    I can see your point; there is something a little too 'Piers Morgan' about the way he wears his shirt but I think that's a general reflection of his personality, and indeed, the way way he portrays the labels he has worked for. However, I certainly wouldn't choose to wear a shirt like that unless i was working as a gigolo.
    Not sure whether you can list him under an anachronism though given that a lot, but not all fashion is essentially a rehash of some sort from a bygone era.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    I've becoming more of a fan of Esquire in recent months, they have a lot more content aimed specifically at fashion in my humble opinion.

A list of badly dressed celebrities would go on far too long and the fact that One Direction headed the 2012 best dressed list for a short while would seem to be a damning representation of what British men seem to think is stylish.
    Yes, I agree, I started looking at Esquire for their Boardwalk Empire fashions recaps, but through that I found it offers a lot more than GQ; which is to say it offers more than just ads mixed with scattered brained advice that seems to contradict itself every other day that comes off as a self important crazy man murdering to himself in the corner.

Sam

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Not sure whether you can list him under an anachronism though given that a lot, but not all fashion is essentially a rehash of some sort from a bygone era.
    Very true, we seem to have had almost nothing genuinely new since the 80s.

It would be a little bit silly to say he has absolutely no style; but I do think that sometimes he looks a little bit like a caricature.

+ Reply to Thread