FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

What Is 'Trying Too Hard'?

'Trying too hard' is apparently something that I should avoid doing at all costs, but I'm still not quite sure what it means or looks like. I suppose it has something to do with the kind of social situation you are in; like if I was to wear a tux to a dinner dance I wouldn't look out of place, opposed to if I wore a tux to go get some milk from the corner shop. Would wearing a shirt, tie and a cardigan be 'trying too hard' if I was just going to the pub?

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    'Trying too hard' is apparently something that I should avoid doing at all costs, but I'm still not quite sure what it means or looks like. I suppose it has something to do with the kind of social situation you are in; like if I was to wear a tux to a dinner dance I wouldn't look out of place, opposed to if I wore a tux to go get some milk from the corner shop. Would wearing a shirt, tie and a cardigan be 'trying too hard' if I was just going to the pub?
    Not at all, trying to hard is often in the eyes of the beholder; people that don't really have much of an interest in or actual knowledge of fashion and style will consider almost anything above their norm as trying too hard. You can of course go to extremes, such as the example you described, but then it would me more weird than a case of the try hards.

You obviously have to be situation appropriate, take into consider the setting, company and purpose and tailor an outfit to suit but you should still remain comfortable in it. Anyone whose opinion actually matters will appreciate the way you dress for what it is and will probably compliment you for it, those accusing you of trying too hard are pretty inconsequential beings.

Jay

Style Icon
    For me, 'trying too hard' is trying to pull off a look or fashionable items of clothing for the sake of trying to be fashionable. If you're wearing clothes because you think they are cool or fashionable, yet you feel uncomfortable and 'not you' then you're trying to hard.

And it has nothing to do with the clothes you are wearing. I wandered around the supermarket yesterday in a tweed blazer, red slim chinos, tan brogue boots, a polkadot chambray shirt and tweed bow tie. But then, that's nothing out of the ordinary for me, I felt comfortable and didn't give a blind toss if I was overdressed.

Trend Setter
    Trying too hard is what I do everyday, but that is who I am, and thus I am trying an adequate amount. Therefore, wearing just a t-shirt, jeans, and running shoes isn't trying hard enough and people comment.

Style Icon
    I think over accessorising is usually a big problem in trying too hard. I reguarly wear blazers, brogues and bright trousers for "casual occasions", but it's accessories like pocket squares and crazy bow ties that push you into a dangerous place.

Then again, dipping a foot or two across that line is what makes dressing up so fun in the first place!

Trend Setter
    All about opinion, i wish everyone could cut about in suits. If you don't feel/ look comfortable in what your wearing, its generally easy to tell.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    All about opinion, i wish everyone could cut about in suits. If you don't feel/ look comfortable in what your wearing, its generally easy to tell.
    You betcha. With you here, Pete.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I think over accessorising is usually a big problem in trying too hard. I reguarly wear blazers, brogues and bright trousers for "casual occasions", but it's accessories like pocket squares and crazy bow ties that push you into a dangerous place.

Then again, dipping a foot or two across that line is what makes dressing up so fun in the first place!
    And the yesterday I wore a pocket square and a bow tie. It's what makes the difference from and every other schmuck in a blazer, brogues and chinos.

Fashionisto
    I think the term trying too hard is more about people who try to push the boat out so far that everyone around them can see that this person is trying too hard to become 'fashionable'. It's hard to define as it's subjective and hence my definition isn't the best.

A better definition is when someone wears a collection of outrageous clothes at once to be noticed rather than wearing one stand out piece along with your usual attire.

Fashionisto
    'Trying too hard' is just wearing too much. It's creating an outfit that's too busy. Read the article on minimalism, 'trying too hard' is the opposite force. It's wearing a corduroy jacket with a cable-knit jumper, tartan shirt, burgundy chinos, brogue boots, tweed bow-tie, pocket square, sunglasses, trilby and watch. It's going over the top, wearing too much and too many statement pieces. Getting it right is just a case of paring it down, bringing it back to something cleaner and more refined. An outfit should have (at most) one or two statement pieces, with everything else accentuating them and providing focus.

Then again, some people can get away with just about anything. I'm sure there's one or two people on here who could fall through Topman/All Saints backwards and come out looking good.

+ Reply to Thread