FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Spring Jacket

Hey,

I'm looking for advice on a Spring jacket, I'm currently, slowly, upgrading my wardrobe but I'm stuck on the jacket situation. I currently own a green hoody, big black double breasted coat, some grey military coat/jacket and a black bomber jacket I'm growing out of. Anyways as you can tell, they're hardly the ideal choice for the cool Spring day and I bought them over a year ago (apart from the hoody).

So I was thinking of getting something blue, since everywhere I've read, blue seems to be big this year and it'd fit quite nicely into my current wardrobe. I've looked around but don't really know what to look for, the only thing I've found is a blue Barbour jacket shown below. Is this a good idea? If not what would be a better choice?

Thanks guys

P.s. My style's quite casual, block colour t-shirts, cardigans, jumpers the odd coloured oxford shirt over jeans and an increasing collection of chino's.

Jay

Style Icon
    I'm not a fan of the quilted jacket and the damn things are absolutely everywhere, BUT that's quite bold and the colour is absolutely gorgeous, so it's got a definite edge to the run of the mill quilted jackets out there. The quilted thing will be dead and buried in a few months time (if it isn't already), so as long as you are fine with it looking dated fairly quickly, then it's not a bad little jacket at all.

Fashionisto
    Yeah that's why I was worried about the quilted jacket, I had a feeling it might be moving on and, like you said, it's everywhere. I recently attended a football match and everyone was wearing the same navy quilted jacket, it was ridiculous. It's the colour that struck me too with this jacket. I'm just looking for a jacket I can put on onto my walk to uni or the stroll into town.

Style Icon
    I own a quilted jacket and often feel quite cliched and boring in it.

BUT

They are very versatile and are great for alot of seasons, keeping you warm in winter but not baking you to a crisp in the warmer months.

Sam

Style Icon
    It's infinitely harder to wear with jeans, but perhaps a denim jacket is the thing for you? Mine sees me through the season yearly without fail.

Fashionisto
    Hmm I was curious on the whole harrington jacket ordeal, it's something I've never tried but have been curious about... That first shout, the blue one, looks great, as does the red.

What's your idea on the harrington, is it comfy, practical? Will the jacket last a bit more than a few months?

As for the denim jacket, I think I need to improve my wardrobe a touch before entering the world of denim jackets, otherwise I'll become a Clarkson-esque "triple denim disaster" (even though I love the guy).

Trend Setter
    It would be a great choice if you lived in my part of North America, as quilted jackets are neither common, nor associated with a lower element here. That said, the Harrington is fine, but not deserving of the buzz it has been getting. Here is the jacket I purchased for spring:

I think quilted jackets are timeless. If you are concerned about looking like one of "them", just don't wear it with drop crotch chinos, scoop tee and Toms.

I think fashion-minded people will continue to wear quilted jackets long after the masses stop buying them. And the colour of that one sets it apart, meaning you won't look like a sheep anyway.

The reason quilted jackets are popular is that they look good. If you are trying to wear a current style that will get you compliments/female attention, I don't think you can go wrong. Having an "individual" style is good, but it can be overrated, and it can put off the opposite sex at times. It depends what you want from your clothing.

The bottom line is, if you like it & feel comfortable in it, don't let some arbitrary notion of fashion stop you.

Sam

Style Icon
    I agree almost totally with Pins; sometimes on here we're guilty of perverting the actual aim of this whole men's style shaboodle, which as far as I'm concerned is to look really friggin' good. Otherwise we're just fashion "hipsters". And I don't mean "hipsters" in a complimentary, 50s way. I mean it in the most derogatory sense of the term.
    Bottom line is, in my opinion, don't favour or avoid something just because of how popular it is. It won't necessarily make you more or less stylish; you'll just become a reciprocal.

That said, Pins, I'm not sure everything that becomes popular becomes so just because it looks good; take dropped crotch trousers for example

So a colourful quilted jacket could be a great choice, although it's a style I do tend to associate with the colder months.

As to the Harrington jacket; in my opinion, it tends to depend on your body type. If you're broader and better built, it will look great; the guy in the navy one isn't a bad example, although he's zipped it up further than I would ever zip up a Harrington. If you're a bit more slender, it's more difficult; you need to aim for a closer fit, and standard falling cuffs and waists might look better on you than ribbed varieties, which are the norm with this style. Ultimately because of its unstructured nature I think it suits broader guys more.
    I certainly wouldn't worry about comfort or practicality; a well lined version can be deceptively warm and comfy, and if you want a lighter piece there are plenty with less lining that are equally comfortable.

And finally, I can't think of many better reasons not to get a denim jacket than that so good shout.

+ Reply to Thread