FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4
    Offline

    Grand National suit help

    Alright lads, I'm a long time FashionBeans reader, but this is my first time using the forum. Hope I've put this in the right place, etc...

    So I've finally gone and got myself a ticket to the Grand National (wanted to go for years and years). Obviously now I'm going to need a suit, so I was hoping I could pick a few fashionista's brains for tips and advice. I've only ever bought a suit once before and that was a long time ago, so I'm a little out of my depth.

    Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    LeeGibraltar's Avatar

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    493
    Offline
    Your question is pretty vague, so hard to say much unfortunatly.

    Do you want a cheaper end suit you'll only wear on rare occasions? Or do you want to invest in a higher quality suit? Do you want it to be more conservative or dandy looking? Have you considered either suit seperates, or pairing a blazer with jeans or chinos? Whats the weather/temperature going to be? weather and temperature will determine what material or construction method the suit should be made off.

    Without mentioning the above, its difficult to recommend anything im afraid.

  3. #3

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeGibraltar View Post
    Your question is pretty vague, so hard to say much unfortunatly.

    Do you want a cheaper end suit you'll only wear on rare occasions? Or do you want to invest in a higher quality suit? Do you want it to be more conservative or dandy looking? Have you considered either suit seperates, or pairing a blazer with jeans or chinos? Whats the weather/temperature going to be? weather and temperature will determine what material or construction method the suit should be made off.

    Without mentioning the above, its difficult to recommend anything im afraid.
    Hi Lee, thanks for your reply. Apologies, I'm new to this and that was quite vague.

    As mentioned in OP, this is only the second time I'll have bought a suit in recent time, so I'm not too fussed about investing in a higher quality one as I'm not sure how much I'll actually wear it, outside of other potential racing events. I was looking to spend around 300 - 400. I'm not sure what sort of quality this price bracket affords. I don't mind standing out a bit and being more dandy-looking. I don't mind "suit separates" when done right, but I'm not a big fan of pairing a blazer with jeans.

    Hope this helps!

  4. #4

    Style Icon
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    570
    Offline
    If you're not going to wear a suit on the reg after the national then there's no need to spend 3-400 imo. I've been to the national a couple of times and it gets messy, the beers flowing and worrying about your suit is the last thing on your mind.

    I'd get yourself to somewhere like Topman, get something smart around the 1-150 bracket and get it tailored to fit perfect if needs be.

  5. #5

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    If you're not going to wear a suit on the reg after the national then there's no need to spend 3-400 imo. I've been to the national a couple of times and it gets messy, the beers flowing and worrying about your suit is the last thing on your mind.

    I'd get yourself to somewhere like Topman, get something smart around the 1-150 bracket and get it tailored to fit perfect if needs be.
    Thanks Naboo, spending less money works for me!

    On the subject of buying suits, I've come across this website via Facebook that seems quite good. Its called Master Debonair and has a lot of suits that I think would suit the grand national (tweed etc). Does anyone have any experience with this website? Is it any good?

  6. #6
    DorianGrape's Avatar

    FashionBeans Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,317
    Offline
    Zara suits are worth a look too. Cheap AF and nicely tailored.
    My daddy was a bankrobber but he never hurt nobody
    He just loved to live that way and he loved to steal your money


  7. #7

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Zara suits are worth a look too. Cheap AF and nicely tailored.
    Cheers Dorian, will have a look.

    Lads, I've found an "Only & Sons" Navy Textured Check three piece suit that I quite like. Thinking about pairing that with a white shirt, gold tie and white pocket square, how does that sound? And what would you pair with that belt/ shoes-wise? Thanks.

  8. #8
    McCoy's Avatar

    FashionBeans Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,805
    Offline
    Lose the waistcoat. Mid to dark Brown shoes are obvious and if need be a matching belt.
    Style.
    Wordpress and Instagram for minimalist and capsule wardrobe ideas:
    http://www.instagram.com/minimaldrobe
    http://www.minimaldrobe.com/

  9. #9
    LeeGibraltar's Avatar

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    493
    Offline
    If your price bracket is 300-400, you can buy a half decent suit with that on SuitSupply, plus maybe a waistcoat if your looking at the top end of your budget. For that price, you'll be able to get a half cavanssed suit. However, it won't leave a budget for shoes, assuming you don't already have any already.

    Whilst high street chains like Zara and Topman will be cheaper (probably half the price, if not less), but they won't be as comfortable, breathable (important if you want to wear them during summer months) or last anywhere near as long. Nor will they look as good as they'll be polyester or poly-blend at best. At least Suitsupply are all natural materials.

    If you want to keep your spending to a minimum, go for Zara or Topman. If your comfortable going to the higher end of the budget you've stated, id recommend suitsupply as the quality is good for the price level and will look significantly better than high street chain suits.

    Just remember to factor in tailoring costs, any suit will need tailoring regardless of where you buy it.

  10. #10
    McCoy's Avatar

    FashionBeans Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,805
    Offline
    Zara etc might not last as long but tbh what's the bloody point in buying a nice suit to go to an event like this.

    You're better off spending more on some shoes as these could last a long time and see you through. No chance of size change either.
    Style.
    Wordpress and Instagram for minimalist and capsule wardrobe ideas:
    http://www.instagram.com/minimaldrobe
    http://www.minimaldrobe.com/

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts