FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Leather Jackets

Are they still cool? I've read many articles on here in the past which say they are timeless and an essential part of a man's wardrobe so my question is would you still wear one this season?

I've been looking for a black smartish leather to go with jeans for a while. I know there's a lot of nice smart quilted jackets around at the moment but to be honest there not something I particularly fancy.

Seen some really nice all saints leathers in the past but their selection at the moment seems quite limited and more biker than bomber which is what I am after really. http://www.allsaints.com/men/leathers/?partner=awin&WT.mc_id=AFF|AWin|32880&WT.mc_ev=cli ck&awc=3708_1328750863_a244b45fc78c29122c574fd5449 b921e

S
    o I suppose this harps back to my original question are they still cool, with it, in?

Leather Jackets in general will never go out of fashion, but of course, cuts and styles will. I think you'd be safe with a bomber for reasonable longevity though.

I don't think now is a great time for leather jackets, simply because there are so many popular current jacket styles. Quilted, tweed, waxed, bikers, harringtons, macs etc etc all have a more fashion forward edge. To me, anyway.

Also they are not the best for warmer weather, unless you get a really lightweight one. It might not be the right time of year to pick one up. That said, if you find a bargain and you love it, I'd grab it.

Sam

Style Icon
    Hell yes!
    Wouldn't recommend Allsaints for "smartish" leather though; very mottled, crinkled style, which I guess some people like but I've grown to dislike it and it's certainly not smart.
    I'd agree with Pins that a bomber is a safe, timeless choice. I wouldn't worry about seasonal fashion and practicality either; the right leather jacket is great over a tee in summer or a knit in winter.
    Depends largely on your budget - even high street leather jackets are often a good buy, but upmarket ones are out of this world.
    Have a poke around here, might find something you like - there are a few Selected bombers that look alright to me:
    Men's leather jackets | Leather coat and biker jacket styles | ASOS
    Also... you pasted a link and the next letter was linked too! I knew it wasn't just me

Nat

Style Icon
    I know a lot of guys on here don't like superdry, but what do you think of this jacket?

Superdry | Superdry Brad Leather Jacket at ASOS

Hate it. Sorry.

Nat

Style Icon
    How come? It doesn't have much obvious branding which superdry stuff normally has

It's just the whole styling of them, and the emboidered logo on the back of the shoulder makes me cringe. I wouldn't really buy leather with any visible branding. It's just a gaurantee that it will go out of fashion. Plus the leather they make them from is crap.

I'm just some pretentious voice at the other end of an internet though, if you like it then go for it. I just can't stand superdry.

Trend Setter
    This is a very, very common model. It's been in production since late 2007 and where I'm from it's kind of ubiquitous amongst wankers . I really, really dislike it. Not to say if you own it that you're a wanker. I just think there are better products out there.

Nat

Style Icon
    Yeah I bought it a few years ago, but my style has changed a lot since then, so I've been rethinking it, for the reasons stated. It was quite expensive though, so don't just want to stop wearing it

Sam

Style Icon
    I agree with Pins on the Superdry jacket - you can tell by how poorly they've styled the model who they're pitching it at.

+ Reply to Thread