FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

New York - Where To Go?

I'm going to New York in July for a week. A friend is getting married in central park and I'm already planning what to wear and where to go when i'm there. I'm hoping to save some pennies and make some nice purchases.

Can anyone suggest where I should be going and which shops I should be checking out?

Many thanks
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

I didn't really bother with shopping. Go to the Rockerfeller Centre (top of the rock) rather than the Empire State; the view is much better. Also, eat at Shula's Steak House.

Good shops are everywhere, top top prices though.

Trend Setter
    Noted. Thanks. There must be some shops that are unmissable!

I only went for a long weekend. There is so much stuff to do that is better than shopping. If you want to gawp at unattainable designer goods, 5th ave is you.

Jay

Style Icon
    It's been a while since I've been to NY, but my advice is to avoid the main stretches of 5th Avenue and the like where you'll find the flagship stores of Prada, D&G, Gucci and the like. Soho (short for South of Houston Street), Noho (North of Houston Street) and Nolita (North of Little Italy) are jam packed full of little independent clothing stores. A quick google of those names and you'll find where I mean; they are all next to one another.

A warning if you're taking taking the missus: there's a an entire street there though with nothing but bag shops. I ended up being stuck on that damn street for a whole morning, while the other half was in heaven.

I don't really remember names of streets so can't be more specific and it has been a while since I've been so do check out what I said to see if its correct before heading there.
    Last edited by Jay; 09-02-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Yeah, Soho is a cool area

Eat at Balthazar if you're over that way. It's amazing.

I'm jealous.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    It's been a while since I've been to NY, but my advice is to avoid the main stretches of 5th Avenue and the like where you'll find the flagship stores of Prada, D&G, Gucci and the like. Soho (short for South of Houston Street), Noho (North of Houston Street) and Nolita (North of Little Italy) are jam packed full of little independent clothing stores. A quick google of those names and you'll find where I mean; they are all next to one another.

A warning if you're taking taking the missus: there's a an entire street there though with nothing but bag shops. I ended up being stuck on that damn street for a whole morning, while the other half was in heaven.

I don't really remember names of streets so can't be more specific and it has been a while since I've been so do check out what I said to see if its correct before heading there.
    Thanks Jay, that's a big help. I'll do some research and get a pair of blinkers for the Mulberry, Gucci, Chanel loving misses

Fashionisto
    Tom Ford flagship store is the only fashion/style retail place i'd bother visiting there.

Go to fifth avenue! Dont forget to check out apple store and Levi's store (the big one which i don't remember where it is, think it is at 5 ave)
    Sometimes people ask me why I always dress up. I simply reply that I don't. It's everyone else who dress themselves down

+ Reply to Thread