FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Smile Need A Satchel For Work

I need a satchel bag for my work but i find that i cannot find many around. I dont mean any of the printed gola bags btw i mean more towards the style of ones from river island.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of something like that?
    Thanks

FashionBeans Staff
    on the slightly cheaper end try this one from Asos.

ASOS | ASOS Smart Retro Satchel at ASOS

or my personal preference is one from Scaramanga. A little bit more in terms of cost but I can assure you of their quality, aesthetic merits and style, I've had mine for a couple of years and it just gets better with age, each bag will be completely individual to you as well because they only use small sheets of leather so the colour changes each time. I will warn you that it will smell quite a lot of raw leather when you get it though.

Medium Wide Leather Satchel 15 Inch

Jay

Style Icon
    I'd echo the shout for Scaramanga. I absolutely adore my leather satchel from there. At £75 or so, it looks twice the price at least and is far better than any designer effort I've seen. And the more worn and battered it gets, the better it looks:

Style Icon
    Sorry to resurface this topic, but I'm currently looking for a new bag. I've stuck between something like this from Scaramanga: Large Vintage Airline Flight BagThe Barbour Fenton,

or something like this from Zara: (basically it boils down to a fight between satchel bags and rucksacks).

COMBINED RUCKSACK - Bags - Man - ZARA United Kingdom

What I'm interested in knowing is how spacious a bag like the one from Scaramanga would be. I need to fit all my work books in it (which currently fill a Fred Perry messenger to the brim.) I actually bought the Asos one listed above, but it didn't fit my books, had a horrible strap, and I wasn't fond of the quality.

So what to people think? Satchels, or rucksacks? and if the former, which brand? I don't want to spend for than 80...

Trend Setter
    I'd be really wary of paying that much for a bag from Zara. I paid quite a lot for a cancas messenger bag by Penfield and it started falling apary within a few months! My scaramanga satchel feels far more worth the money!

A friend has one of these, and they look good and seem well made:
    Herschel Black Little America Backpack
    Urban Outfitters - Herschel Black Little America Backpack

Style Icon
    I got my leather satchel from Topman for 3 in the sale.

Just sayin.

Trend Setter
    Nice. Well, a bargain is a bargain!

Nat

Style Icon
    Just want to lend my weight to the scaramanga suggestion. I recently got their 15 inch satchel with front pocket, in distressed leather. Cost about 75, which I thought was a bargain. I get loads of compliments on it and it looks great!

scaramanga for me too. Great quality, reasonable price

Style Icon
    My issue is whether the satchel/messenger would fit all my books. The ones with the flap tend to be limited in what they can hold: go over the limit and the flap won't meet with the connectors.
    Rucksacks are a safe bet, and from experience, so are Fred Perry messengers. I just don't like having something every Tom, Dick and Harry has.

The scaramanga ones do look awesome. I might try for a Barbour, and if that fails, opt for the Scaramanga. I do like the Zara one though; I've looked at a lot of rucksacks, and for the money, this is by far the nicest IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread