FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Biker Jacket Styling

Hi kids

As some of you may be aware, I've just got this

As I'm new to the world of Biker Jackets, I'd like to know how to style it. I've rocked it with a tee, grey jeans & white plimsoles, but apart from that, where can I go with it. Particularly interested in how to incorporate some smarter footwear etc. Brogues, desert boots? Should they be suede, not leather, to avoid leather overload?

Thanks! Post pics if you can (of looks or items)

Fashionisto
    ive rocked them with black jeans and chealsea boots for that real english rocker vibe. biker boots for the more american rock vibe or a more rockabilly look.

never tried brogues or desert boots - not sure they fit the image....

Sam

Style Icon
    pah, leather overload is nothing to worry about. You've got a pair of big black boots, right? They'd sit pretty well with it, give it a sort of punk edge. Militaries, workers, brogue boots, hiking boots... you know the drill. And in the context of a look like that Chelsea boots work great too.

Especially with a Cuban heel, right Jay? ; )

In terms of smart shoes - it's not as seasonally appropriate, but a pair of penny or tassel loafers (or snaffle clasp, ala Gucci) with turned up slim or skinny jeans - or chinos - would be the best way to integrate smarter items, I think.

A lot depends on the fit, too; is it closer and shorter fitting, or a bit more substantial? If the former, the loafers look would work great. If it's the latter, then perhaps a chunky knit, hefty denim and brogues would be a better choice.

And being that it has lapels, a biker jacket is the single best leather jacket style to pair with a turtleneck. Makes the most aesthetic sense.

So, something like this would be pretty cool I think:

Don't be afraid to go for the biker look in its entirety. A twist, like that roll neck, is all it takes to not turn into a cartoon.
    You're right about suede, it's a great call.

All those products are from Mr Porter. Those bottom three all cost more than the jacket itself :')

Thanks PrinceOTR. Are you talking black boots or brown boots?

I'm more interested in unconventional ways to rock it to be fair. The full-on rocker look doesn't really suit my style, I think I'd end up looking a bit cliché.

Thanks too, Sam. I think incorporating a knit would be a good idea. I might pair it with a Navy cable knit jumper, indigo skinnies and some tan suede hiking boots- or do you think black footwear is essential?

It is quite slim fitting and short in the body. Is this how it's meant to be? I was slightly unsure about it when I wore it at the weekend, but I chose the small over the medium as it made for a slimmer fit which I prefer. I do wear my jeans quite low which accentuates the shortness of the jacket, but that's just how biker jackets are, right?

Loafers are a great shout- I've already earmarked it for wearing with skinny chinos and my Vivienne Westwood loafers for summer. Can't wait!

Style Icon
    Yeah, this jacket is meant to be short. If you wear a jumper underneath, the ribbed hem should be showing underneath (which I think looks pretty cool).

You could wear it with a dark blue shirt, grey/charcoal knit, and then whatever trousers/jeans/chinos you choose. Jackets like these are so versatile, you can literally wear them with anything.

Here's some All Saints lookbooks for reference:

I know the last one isn't the same jacket, but IMHO it's the most interesting of the three.

This one (albeit Black and White) looks cool. Chinos, rolled at the hem, boots and a nice checked shirt. Do the jacket up, put the collar up (not sure how it would look on your jacket) and it can be a very cool look. Burgundy chinos would look pretty awesome.

Sam

Style Icon
    Sounds like you've got the fit spot on.

With regards to the shoes, I'll refer you to this article:
    How To: Co-ordinate Leathers | Fashionbeans.com
    But then, of course I'd refer you to that

I think the conclusion is really that with leather jackets, don't worry about mismatching. Like bags, they're a substantial item in their own right so you can bend the rules a bit. Brown and tan shoes could work great - I suggest you match them to the used and abused look of the jacket, and then you're good to go.
    Black is a safe and absolutely solid option though, and somehow black shoes + blue jeans looks much better when you add in a black leather jacket.

Style Icon
    Great article Sam! Any idea what jacket the chap is wearing in the opening picture? It looks pretty bloody awesome.

Fashionisto
    Depending on what style you wanna go for you could try pairing it with a coloured chino like the guy on the left here:

PS: d'oh, I seem to have made a photo-editing blunder. Sorry about the waste of space.

Thanks everyone!

I have some black Diesel Black Gold oxfords and some grey All Saints brogues; both are very distressed so I think they could be a good shout, and will tie in the smarter suggestions such as chinos, shirts and knits.

The lookbook is also good for reference, it would appear that it is possible to rock the black boots & jacket without looking too ott.

I think my favourite looks will be the more tailoring infused ones, and my existing casual one with white plimsolls and a t shirt though.

+ Reply to Thread