FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Winter Coat Conundrum

I recently bought a tweed winter coat in the Topman sale, despite my usual disdain for the store. It's 100% wool Harris Tweed, so better quality than their usual stuff.

Here is the problem - the 36, my usual size, fits well in the shoulders, arms and length of the coat, but is very tight to button up, even with only a thin layer underneath and me not being a particularly portly chap. So I ordered the 38, which arrived today, that fits much better in the chest, but is slightly large in the shoulders, and a bit longer. The problem with it being, even a tiny bit longer is that I am pretty short - 5'7" - and a coat that is too long can make me look even more of a short arse!

I'm wondering whether it would be best to a) Have the 36 altered somehow to fit better in the chest. Is this even possible? b) Just keep the 38 since it is not huge on me. c) abandon the coat altogether.

I realise this might be easier with pics but don;t have time to take any at the moment, for now here is the coat in question:

Harris Tweed Green Check Coat* - Sale - Sale & Special Offers - TOPMAN[207228|207200]&noOfRefinements=1

Fashionisto
    wear it open at all times?

Jay

Style Icon
    An ill-fitting coat on the shoulders will simply make you look lost in it. You may or may not be able to have the 36' let out depending on how much spare material is at the seams (something you won't discover until you buy it and take it to a tailor, so not worth it).

So, you are left with option C. Get rid of it.

Sam

Style Icon
    In practical terms, Jay's absolutely right.
    But how often do you want to wear it done up? I know it's not very sophisticated of me but I never really do up my Topman overcoat, for that reason but also because it just plain old looks and hangs much better undone.

FashionBeans Staff
    I would agree with Jay and say that the 36 and opening it up is a risk, you don't know how much seam there is to play with. You could however consider getting the 38 tailored to fit better although you might find it changes the shape of the coat a little too much.

I had my peacoat altered and now it looks 10 times better, I had some pretty major work done on it to reduce the sizing but it can be done. Might be worth looking into, it will cost you a bit more than your normal alterations though.

+ Reply to Thread