FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

What is Your Favourite Clothing Brand And Why?

What is your favourite brand and why?

For me I would have to say Fred Perry and the reason for this is its accessible and means different things to different people. It can be preppy but it can also be mod.

Sam

Style Icon
    Difficult question.
    I'd be moved to say that even though it's totally aspirational and I can't even dream of being able to afford it or pull it off, post-Tom Ford Gucci has been a real winner for me. The last couple of collections have been totally 70s cool in a way that the real 70s never were and I've been bowled over by them.
    On the high street, Cos is always good, for the same reasons I love Calvin Klein and Jil Sander but cheaper. But I'd be lying if I said my main source of attire was anything other than plain old Topman! So sue me.

FashionBeans Staff
    My favourite brand changes depending on item. (budget restraints taken into account) For knitwear I don't think you can find anything better than All Saints, I wouldn't go for their more avant garde pieces but anything devoid of Ram skull is definitely a winner in my books, I'm eyeing up two pieces from their right now, a shawl neck cardigan and a funnel neck jumper.

For shoes I would have to say Grenson (unfortunately a little out of my reach) they consistently produce high quality, good looking items, I'm particularly fond of their vibram soled brogue boots.

From the perspective of a brand as a whole I would have to agree with you on Fred Perry, I love their polos, I like their knitwear and I really like the heritage; as you say it is also very accessible and almost guaranteed quality.

Jay

Style Icon
    I really couldn't pin point a favourite brand or designer as such. I suppose, purely from the fact that I seem to have an awful lot of items from them, Paul Smith must be a favourite. I tend to like individual pieces rather than brands.

I could name far more brands that would be more likely to make me think twice about buying anything from them: and Fred Perry would be near the top of the list (if they didn't plaster that stupid laurel wreath over every item I might be more forgiving).

Fashionisto
    Calvin Klein is my favourite brand. I have too many of their boxers range. I also like their subtle cardigan range. Very classy. I actually just bought a beautiful coat today from the Calvin Klein collection range. I just see it as a sophisticated and classy brand.

Trend Setter
    Nudie Jeans - Best fitting denim around. A superb variety of washes and cuts, I personally prefer either their Thin Finn or Grim Tim lines. I love them so much I own 10 pairs now.

Grenson - Beautifully made shoes.

All Saints - All round great selection of clothing (The best sales also)

Lyle & Scott - Best fitting polos around and they're reasonably priced (Also have great sales)

Used to a A.P.C but all their stuff has recently gone up in price by at least 15% so i haven't bought anything from them recently.

I used to be head-to-toe Diesel but now I'm a bit more flexible. I have preferred brands for different items. Ones I wear most are:

All Saints (love the jeans, knitwear, jersey stuff and shirts. Not a fan of the tailoring)
    Reiss (knitwear, chinos and outerwear)
    Ted Baker (outerwear mainly)
    Diesel (only really wear the leathers & the jeans, usually have to tailor the jeans though)

Trend Setter
    I find mine varies greatly from year to year.

Three or four years ago I would have said Ted Baker. I’d say a good 80% of my wardrobe was from there.

Before that I was really into things like Calvin Klein, Armarni, Nicole Farhi, Kenzo, D&G, Hackett. I kind of lost interest in the “big name” brands when they started becoming popular with the chavvs. Speaking of which. I used to really like Evisu jeans until they became victims of their own success.

The amount of stuff I’ve given to charity shops is scary.

After that I ended up buying a LOT from places like A&F and Hollister with some bits from Superdry. I still have so much from their, but tend to try and work it in to other looks rather than looking like an A&F shop assistant.

I’ve always had a love of Diesel jeans, but other than that my taste has kind of gone backwards. I tend to buy most of my stuff from places like RiverIsland, TopMan, Burton and Next now with only the odd nice piece from places like AllSaints and Reiss. To be fair, I think having three young children seems to have influenced my love of cheap clothing, as I’m not too fussed when my 5 month old daughter throws up on me when I’m wearing RiverIsland knitwear.

I’m starting to get back into wanting nicer things now, but I’m being careful not to get as carried away as when I was younger (and single).

My taste in shoes has changed a lot too. I used to buy Patrick Cox, and then got a likening for Kirt Geiger. I don’t seem to find much I like there now, and tend to buy my work shoes from Ted Baker again. I’ve started looking at Loakes recently though.

I think the brands I like most at the moment are Allsaints and Diesel.
    Last edited by PaulAnderson; 23-11-2011 at 09:25 AM.

For me it has to be Nudie for anything denim, and everything else Paul Smith.

+ Reply to Thread