FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Age Related Dilemma

Hi guys,

Serious question now. At 35 would you say I'm too old to wear oxblood chinos?

My wife has a bit of a love/hate relationship with my wardrobe. She hated the idea of me buying purple chinos but actually likes them since seeing they aren't the bright purple she was imagining. She does still however think I'm going through a midlife crisis and have a few items that she says should only be worn by teenagers.

I really like the oxblood ones. I know most of you are going to say if I feel comfortable in them wear them etc... but honestly if everybody is going to be looking at me thinking "he's too old to pull that look off" I'd rather sidestep the issue. I had the same with some TopMan carrot chinos which are now on eBay. I still quite like them, but have come round to the fact I look like an idiot in them.

Paul

Jay

Style Icon
    I'll keep this really simple.

No, you're not.

Style Icon
    No. Not one bit. Oxblood is fast becoming a staple colour, even in more refined and "grown-up" looks. Do it, and feel great. =)

lol no

Coloured chinos are as old as time itself. Think about old posh dudes in their salmon chinos... Anyone can wear them

Trend Setter
    I'm in my 30's and have those oxblood chinos that you're referring to, they're awesome . You can't compare those horrific Topman carrot chinos with elastic cuffs that you're selling on eBay to a classy pair of slim fitting chinos.

Tom

Trend Setter
    No, but it's not a reason to bypass the 'do they suit me?' consideration when buying clothes either. Nor, dare I say it, should they be worn with a football shirt while shouting at the telly or picking any kids you may have up from school, or with any typical 'dad' style attire that may or may not have been bought from Next (brown leather 'smart' trainers, anyone?), but being on here I assume the rest of your wardrobe will not be too dad-like.

Sam

Style Icon
    Don't knock brown leather trainers. A simple, minimalist pair of those is, to me, the only mature option if you want a pair of trainers for casual wear.
    That said, I certainly can't find any on Next so maybe you mean those hideous Skechers, in which case I agree.

Trend Setter
    I hate that kind of trainers!

+ Reply to Thread