FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Fashionisto

Socks

Something I've often overlooked when putting together an outfit in the past is socks, but increasingly I'm becoming aware of their importance. I've recently bought a pair of tan brogues and was wondering what colour socks I should wear with them if, for instance, I was to wear them with navy chinos or indigo jeans?

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on the effect you're after. The beauty of socks is that you can wear them however you want. They can clash or complement your outfit and will still look cool.

Just steer clear of boring ones tbh.

Trend Setter
    Am trying to improve my sock drawer too. Am into mustard yellows, deep reds and burgundy at the moment.

I like these:

Burlington Carrick Red Argyle Socks* - TOPMAN

Jay

Style Icon
    I think those are a bit boring to be honest. Socks are a great way to express yourself so go wild:

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the responses! I'm thinking maybe burgundy, to be honest I'm not a massive fan of all these crazy socks (I sound like the most boring 19 year old ever, ha) but I'll definitely try some out. Thanks

Style Icon
    Pins, where are the last two from? They look awesome!

Not posted by me, those were Jay... I'm guessing, therefore, that they are rare and expensive.

Style Icon
    Whoops sorry! Must have double pressed page down and assumed it was part of your post!

Edit: just realised the grey ones are Scott Nichol's. Damn they're nice.
    Last edited by _Ben_; 18-02-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Sam

Style Icon
    Nononono guys! Subtle socks are just perfect too. A good solid or an understated pattern can be a fine touch. And a good match is a sharp detail.

I like GQ's description of wearing red socks with a suit (a la Peter Jones): "The sartorial equivalent of jazz hands".

I've recently got a couple of pairs of loafers (I keep bragging about these but I haven't gotten around to snapping a pic yet) and to compliment them I've got a couple of pairs of argyle socks in the most boring, geography-teacher-ish argyle I can find. I much prefer that to some of the day-glo shades I found when I was looking for them.

And I've also got a couple of invisible "liner" socks too; sockless is a good lock, but not a good idea.

Tan brogues and navy chinos/jeans? Depends on the items. If they're narrow, slim brogues and slim jeans a patterned pair would be nice; anything Jay posted, for instance, as well as anything of that ilk. If they're beefier brogues go for beefier socks, like, say, a ribbed boot sock.
    And don't worry about colour, there's almost nothing that won't work between tan and blue.

Trend Setter
    Jay and I have argued about socks before, so I don't think we must revisit that, but I think solid colour socks are better, especially with brogues because they all ready have detailing.

Here is a great starter pack, I ordered it myself too:

River Island | River Island 5-Pack Heritage Socks at ASOS

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last