FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Buying Used Clothes Off eBay?

Was having an argument with my flatmates about this. I personally do this all the time and don't see the problem with it. I always think:

1) Clothes in a mainstream highstreet store like Topman have usually been tried on so many times they're basially "used" anyway

2) If I can get, say, an Allsaints bit of knitwear for £10 rather than £80, who cares? I can always sell it on again anyway, and quite often make a profit.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Style Icon
    Couldn't agree more. In fact, although I would call myself a repeat All Saints customer, the majority of my clothing from there has come from eBay. Even if your flatmates are against the idea that someone has worn the clothing, you can still get new items for very good prices.

I always try and email the seller (politely) to ensure the item fits well and is in the condition they describe. I've never had any issues, apart form one item that smelt of smoke (which washed out perfectly).

The only irony is that I never go into charity shops (I just can't stand them). They remind me of old-people's homes, but with price tags!

I've even made money on eBay! Sold an Alexi Open cardigan and made a healthy profit (the item itself was bought new as well!).

Trend Setter
    Completely with you Nath. The amount of cash I have saved using eBay is amazing. Have a look at the previous thread on it.

http://www.fashionbeans.com/forums/g...age-finds.html

Trend Setter
    I buy and sell clothes on eBay reasonably frequently and never had a problem. The only issue is when i haven't thought about measurements and fit enough, entirely my own fault. I bought some Nudie Thin Finn jeans off eBay a few months ago, they are great. If anything they have encouraged me to buy Nudie stuff in future, whereas previously I may not have paid that much for a pair of jeans.

Trend Setter
    I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy eBay but personally I agree with your flatmates. I used to buy lots of clothes off eBay and have never been happy with any of it. The problem is sellers lie and want to get rid of crap they don't want, plus it is so time consuming trolling through it all. Stuff arrives smelly and is sometimes damaged or turns out to be seconds/fake.

I love the smell of new clothing and take advantage of the various discount sites available online. I also wait for sales and very rarely pay full price for anything.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy eBay but personally I agree with your flatmates. I used to buy lots of clothes off eBay and have never been happy with any of it. The problem is sellers lie and want to get rid of crap they don't want, plus it is so time consuming trolling through it all. Stuff arrives smelly and is sometimes damaged or turns out to be seconds/fake. .
    Obviously some massively conflicting points of view! Can't say I have ever had any problems and the majority of the stuff I buy is new anyway.

Still blown away by this combo...
    Edwin jeans, studio d'artisan jacket, hudson brogue boots coming in at just under £60 for lot, brand new. Retail would have cost me the best part of £500.

I think if you're willing to put in a bit of work it's WELL WORTH the effort. Everyone's different though.

Style Icon
    I don't find it time consuming at all Tone. I save individual searches on my iPhone, and every time I check the searches they only come up with the items recently added. This way I can view every single item that appears within my searches without having to trawl through previously seen items. It saves time and, most importantly, money.

I understand you point completely. Bad eBay experiences are enough to make anyone feel a bit sour: once stung, twice shy. After three days I'm still waiting for payment for a jacket I just sold. I've emailed the buyer, but received no response yet...

Trend Setter
    Don't get me wrong...I've had great success with selling on eBay and will continue to sell my unwanted items there! I just think there is a fine art to buying stuff on there... I've had the odd bit of luck here and there but the bad luck has out weighed the good.

+ Reply to Thread