FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Budgeting Your Wardrobe (Question)

Hello,

I've recently joined the site having read a few of the very useful articles on here. I'm now at the stage where i'm starting to turn around my "style" and reinventing, as the recent couple of articles have talked about. There is one hitch, however; I'm a 19 year old student on a tight budget. To put it in perspective, i'm loath to cross the £100 boarder on a single item due to money restraints.

My question, therefore, is what items do you feel it is more important/necessary to invest in higher quality (e.g. all saints) and which items do you think you can get away with lower cost items (e.g ASOS clothing).

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Style Icon
    I'd invest most heavily in footwear (good footwear lasts), outerwear (from blazers to coats) and knitwear (natural fibres only).

Style Icon
    For Allsaints and similarly priced shops, I only ever get their stuff on eBay or in the sales. As a student, the most I'd ever spend on a single item really is £80 (and that even includes Blazers these days!)

I do agree that shoes should be an investment tbf, but at the same time, my tan ASOS brogues are lasting me a treat (they were only £50).

Trend Setter
    @BenHerbert - can we make a fashion basics section for these types of threads?

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    @BenHerbert - can we make a fashion basics section for these types of threads?
    Great idea.

Personally I invest in any items I feel will be worn a lot (and thus repay their expense through use). Coats are a good example, but for me: Jeans; a usefully coloured jacket (I'm loving my waxed forager shirt/jacket from All Saints which cost me £47.50 last year) which you can wear with pretty much everything; shoes and staple pieces of knitwear are the main items. I tend to buy a fair amount, like Nath, on eBay, and when you begin to get an idea of how much certain pieces sell for there (e.g individual items from All Saints) you can spot bargains which you may feel you could even make money on. The best case scenario is one where you can buy an item cheaply, wear it to its full potential (but don't abuse it) and then make some profit.

In an nutshell, eBay and sales budget my wardrobe. I rarely pay full price for an item. A pair of All Saints boots which I love to pieces cost me £20 on eBay. The amount of use they get must surely have re-payed that amount by now (which, incidentally, is cheaper than a pair of Fred Perry trainers I own and rarely wear any more).

Trend Setter
    You can get quality on a budget, the only things I spend on are shoes and watches. Shoes need to be good because you don't want blisters, there just isn't cutting a corner there and watches are one of the few articles of clothing that are actually an investment because they are jewelry. I wish I could tell you where the great outlet stores are in England, but I can't. However, if you ever you in Canada, I know how to get tiger of Sweden, and a few other brand', last season sport jackets for around 20 dollars, when they originally sell for more than 300 dollars.

Style Icon
    Everyone's made good points here. I would also hasten to add that TK Maxx should never be forgotten: there's tonnes of Allsaints stuff in a few I've looked around lately
    BUT don't make the mistake of buying stuff for the brand, rather than because it looks good and fits well.

Trend Setter
    This is a good thread.

Fortunately, I'm not on a tight budget but I do apply strict rules as to how much I am prepared to spend on an item - based on the quality and longevity of the item. Plus, my family motto is 'Never pay full price for anything'.

Loake shoes are excellent and they have a 'web exclusives' section of the website (surprisingly) Loake - Web Exclusives

I also recently got a Baracuta G9 Harrington jacket in the sale at USC as it was out of season, it was reduced from £140 to £40.

My tip is to find quality brands you trust and to see where you can get them at budget prices online and discounted in stores.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

+ Reply to Thread